Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 1982 Martin T-23

It’s funny I have always been told this also. Hence why or partially why my mind steers away from rotary screw.

But oddly enough I’m talking to Quicy the other day. And I preface by saying I was told not to buy one of their compressors by the person helping me as he considered it a pos. And he point blank told me “Quincy” is not the only company that makes a good compressor that may fit your need. Anyway I mentioned about rotary screw and long runs and he told me as a tech that that was horse crap.

Now you know this is just one guy and it’s only ever been some guy telling me they needed long run times and most of the time it’s not like the person is some compressor expert. But you know I’m not questioning you or him just stating that for once I was told it was bs and it happened to be from a guy that should know and wasn’t trying to sell me something.

O would like to know as I totally don’t want to buy a screw to find out what I’ve been told six million times. But if it’s not true I would like a Kaeser..

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    +1 on the long run-time. Anybody looking at rotary screws needs to consider it. The oil has to heat up, so longer run times are required - longer than in the average small shop (commercial or hobby). Low usage just ruins them.

For our distributed instrument air needs we use a lot of paired Atlas-Copco GX5 (5Hp) units, but in addition to the OEM receivers, we use 2 additional receivers (800 gal ea.), and we deep cycle the pressure (250psi OFF / 80psi ON) , all to get decently long run times. ...in the desert, so space is not an issue.

Blog Entries
    I’m recalling from memory, but in speaking with Kaeser the salesperson mentioned it was the wrong compressor for me due to a lack of run-time. He recommended at least an hour at a given time. What I took that as, is that running it for a few moments and then not for a while was going to shorten the time period between service.

Didn’t work for me, but if spraying, running air tools, etc I would have strongly considered it. They look like a nice piece of equipment.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

A rotary screw type compressor is for those who need constant air for long periods. They need a lot of maintenance if only running periodically. Quincy, like others has several levels, the QT being the cheapest. Check around for a shop that rehabs compressors. I bought a used Kellog with a 80 gal tank for $800 about 10 years ago and it is still going. The guy kept his workers busy in the off season rehabbing compressors. It is no QR but has paid for itself many times. I found a used HT air dryer for it too. I also redid a 5120 with a 25 hp motor for sandblasting. Use it about once every five years but really puts out air. Dave

That’s what I got right now.

It cycles on and off every 20 seconds. It’s gonna start a fire. And it creates massive amounts of water. My pump delivers oil and air to bearings. $500 a piece bearings and days work to replace them so you know I’m kinda protective of them.

I know exactly what my air usage is. Obviously that’s like step number one in this whole thing when you realize the compressor you have I st cutting it. I have spoken with multiple professionals very specifically as to my cfm @ a very specific psi requirements and I’m told it’s way higher than one would think for a simple little pump. That it requires a constant source of air. Hence the minimum requirement of 5hp.

It was suggested a 60 gallon tank would work but that it would cycle on and off every ten minutes. I don’t want to listen to the dam thing and I think I have said that like 300 times.

I also don’t see why not buy a 80 gallon tank if I’m considering a 60 as whats the difference really and 80 gallons is pretty standard for any real air need.

So that’s why. No attitude but it really is not that simple and if you had read my thread prior to commenting you would know that the pancake compressor you suggested is what I’m running “not working” and the whole point of mentioning any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    If you'll excuse the simple-minded butting into your biz ... from what I see of your air needs here, I'd get a $50 pancake compressor that a roofer has worked the dog-snot out of. It will run the oiler and I can move on - all without re-doing the entire eastern seaboard's electrical grid.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 04-12-2020 at 7:07 PM.

Always drama over everything. it's just a damn compressor, they almost fall out of trees. I have accumulated a few 350s and a couple 390s with 120 and 200 gallon tanks.
    No other two stage compressor compares to the older Quincy's. the new ones are throw away garbage.

I do agree they look very nice.

For me and my use at least for now pertaining to the shaper it would generally be short runs. Minutes not hours and only hours of run time here and there. From time to time maybe a half day 2-3 hours at a clip.

Hence why I kinda discarded the idea of a rotary screw.

Now long term for the purpose of spraying I would 100% setup a pray booth with a rotary screw. But even then I think it’s overkill being a good air dryer and properly sized compressor is probably good enough as many do just that. Again I’m never much concerned what’s good enough for most vrs what suits my expectations and desires.

I would be interested to know exactly how a rotary screw would react to my use. Be interesting to know of for no other reason than to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I’m recalling from memory, but in speaking with Kaeser the salesperson mentioned it was the wrong compressor for me due to a lack of run-time. He recommended at least an hour at a given time. What I took that as, is that running it for a few moments and then not for a while was going to shorten the time period between service.

Didn’t work for me, but if spraying, running air tools, etc I would have strongly considered it. They look like a nice piece of equipment.

I'd steer clear of a screw for home use, heck even in my commercial setting I have been told its not the right choice as I dont require constant supply. I have had a Quincy and 2 C-aire units in my commercial shop over the 26 years of business. Our 3 phase C-air is going on 10 years now 28 CFM and it doesnt skip a beat. I recently purchased a new compressor for my shop at home its a 220 volt Flexilla compressor, I purchased it mainly for low noise level, price and a decent 19 cfm. Going on 5 months with it I"m happy, it gets a workout when I use my sandblast cabinet sometimes running for 2 to 3 hours with no cycle. Lots of choices out there in todays market.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Been running a 5 hp 2 stage Ingersoll Rand T30 on an 80 gallon tank for prolly 25 years.
    2-3 guys in a pro shop years ago, at times all running air sanders- think DA type 6" machines- National Detroit. Anyway, I believe it is about a 19-22 CFM unit, and it runs every other machine in shop- widebelt, shapers, molder, etc........
    That is well more than you need, but if you want to spend more, somebody is waiting to take your cash.....

My air needs are 13.5 cubic feet per minute at a constant rate. That’s where I’m getting the 5hp 80 gallon tank thing from.

You guys know I like my machines. And you know I don’t really mind spending on something high quality. I actually ate spending my money on anything other than high quality.

I am willing 100% to spend a few bucks extra for something quite as this is going in my house for the time being. I’m also willing to spend for more than I need now knowing I’ll be pissed if I have to replace it like I’ll,probably have to say my phase perfect at some point.

I fully expect at some point my needs will be higher. Mostly a spray booth but surely a widebelt as i got spoiled at my last job. I miss sanding with DA’s kinda but not really cuz of the dust. I guess that could be mitigated. I much prefer sanding with my Festool sanders because of dust collection.

For instance right now I’m building these giant panels and it’s totally annoying I can’t just throw them through a widebelt. Pretty much everything g be so,e way more easy when you can just throw it through the sander and it comes out way nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Been running a 5 hp 2 stage Ingersoll Rand T30 on an 80 gallon tank for prolly 25 years.
    2-3 guys in a pro shop years ago, at times all running air sanders- think DA type 6" machines- National Detroit. Anyway, I believe it is about a 19-22 CFM unit, and it runs every other machine in shop- widebelt, shapers, molder, etc........
    That is well more than you need, but if you want to spend more, somebody is waiting to take your cash.....

Found a bit of free time today to make the second cover. It’s a far departure from my big talk of a exact reproduction. But for now it will do until I have money to burn.

Square,

11048056-B739-4F38-B491-2CA36757599D.jpg

Simple layout..

942117AE-FAA0-41F4-AB81-C1972D90E5A9.jpg

Hdpe machines like a dream but makes a terrible mess.

43B4CA04-F94E-490D-AB58-4C05840EC400.jpg

Looks ok but more important keeps the dust out. The dust collection on this machine is terrible!

25F39B58-144D-4921-B33C-2CBF8FEA49E1.jpg

02165384-9F17-4DCF-B420-ADB05CD730D7.jpg

Works like a dream though. Zero runout at the spindle, like zero. These lock miters are like perfect. That probably has more to do with good material prep, machine setup and a sharp cutter than anything else but.

4CFAFF37-F810-4C26-937A-6C8AF944BEF3.jpg

63F4CC42-98CD-401F-8E6F-AF7CF1BECDC5.jpg

I was getting some snipe on the jointer. Needed to raise the outfeed a bit to account for blade wear.

Had some of this scrap hdpe and I wanted to clean the edges of the panel I had just made with the jointer.

Knowing I had snipe I figured I’d run a offcut first and see what I got. Well good thing I ran a sample as in this material it was miserable.

However using this material vrs wood made it very very easy to see exactly what or how the machine is cutting.

The pattern left by the knives indicates the snipe. Any deviation from that perfect repetitive pattern is indeed snipe. Not so easy to see this in wood. Lots a ways to do this but you know. I thought this was neat and foolproof.

74C18848-C368-4F87-BCFF-A8A243DE6B34.jpg

1B474FAF-FDC8-4D44-B4D6-E89002F64A57.jpg

That’s it for a Saturday. I’m getting lazy no longer building cabinets for a living. Leisure time is kinda nice..

Greg,

Posting these for you cuz you asked about the feeder. I returned your pm, as I said the feeder is really really everything people say they are. I figured it would be as the people whom say it’s so good I know we’ll know. But I regally didn’t expect it to be so significant..

D00376B6-1CBE-44EF-9452-9A61CF04C7C0.jpg

E3955746-D8F0-40EC-938F-AA5E3A7C72C4.jpg

3CA5B99F-F546-4CF8-ABC5-3E421959FC41.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 06-25-2020 at 7:12 PM.

Great job on the dust hood. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Is that carbon fiber?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

leave it to Patrick, yes carbon fibre.

When the owner of Koenigsegg wanted carbon fibre wheels he was told it could not be done, so he did it and the same people said how did you do that?

Patrick im still waiting for you to slip up and do something mediocre or what many call fine quality or high end. Guess that wont be happening soon lovely work. When you do more could you make me some wheels for the 2003 Saturn

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 06-26-2020 at 12:27 PM.