Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are grizzly machines good?

You'd get a more accurate answer by inquiring about a specific model of a tool.

I've bought good bandsaws from them, and it is my (academic only) belief their top of the line models in (at least) lathes and bandsaws would compete against the premium brands' higher offerings.

That being said, I have bought very cheap things from Grizzly including some iron clamps where the casting cracked within a month. So, you have to do your research. It's not a brand where everything is created equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Grizz in my shop....Table saw, band saw, wood lathe. Best bang for the buck in my opinion.

+1 on that!! I love most of my Grizzly stuff! And I've probably got over 20 of their machines. Their Taiwan machines are generally higher quality that their Chinese machines.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    +1 on that!! I love most of my Grizzly stuff! And I've probably got over 20 of their machines. Their Taiwan machines are generally higher quality that their Chinese machines.
    David
    +2 on that! I have a table saw, 14” bandsaw, 6” jointer and 1.5 HP dust collector that I purchased around 2005. All work as well as when new.
    They will do anything any similar tool can do- their only limits are MY skill level.
    I work out of my home shop making things for myself, friends, family and anyone else who will pay.

In my commercial shop, in addition to Grizzly I have Mattison, Delta, Oliver, Festool, Northfield, Laguna, etc. In my personal opinion, Grizzly offers the best value of any of the woodworking equipment vendors.

My Grizzly 12" 5 hp cabinet saw will balance a nickle on the table while's it running. Can't get much smoother than that. Any my 16" horizontal resaw maintains tolerances within a few thousands of an inch when cutting veneer. That's pretty much unheard of and the machine is an actual Grizzly design - not something made from generic castings.

We've run a Grizzly 5 HP shaper for days on end with one of their 1 hp power feeders. No issues whatsoever. Same thing with their 16" horizontal resaw, except in it's case we've run it for weeks on end.

Some of their inexpensive equipment is just that - inexpensive, but I've found their Extreme Duty and Z series to be excellent quality and value. Personally I like the Delta and Powermatic drill presses better in the $1,400 price range as opposed to Grizzly's offerings, but that's just me.

Just my 2 cents - YMMV.

Scott

5. As others have said, it is good value at the price point. I would buy them again, but I make decisions machine by machine.

I have an almost 20 year old Grizzly 1018 jointer (basic 8" dovetail model with levers). Was $700 at the time. When I got it the tables were not quite coplanar. I was able to shim it level, though adjusting the infeed table was always a bit tricky. In practice I simply never adjust the infeed table. Have to make a couple extra passes rather than hogging off a lot at the start. For someone who spends all their time in the shop or who does it as a job, that would never do. But I don't get nearly enough time in my shop, and the amount of time I would save getting a better jointer isn't worth it; I'll put the money into something else. But with that said, I don't think I've adjusted the jointer in 15 years other than replacing the knives. It just sits there and makes my boards flat when I need it to. Discovered last week that one of the belts is really lose so I am replacing them with link belts.

OTOH, the Jet cabinet saw I got at the same time had the trunnion fail (doesn't tilt properly) and I wasn't able to repair it. It's now stuck vertical, and I probably will replace it with a Sawstop rather than pay hundreds to replace/send out the trunnion for repair.

Bruce

Eh, depends on what tool from them you get I guess. Ive had some issues over the years with their products and don't think Ill ever mess with them again as there is almost always a better option funds allowing, but thats just my take on it.
    Also keep in mind who's a paid sponsor around here and keep that in your calculations. It DOES make a difference.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Eh, depends on what tool from them you get I guess. Ive had some issues over the years with their products and don't think Ill ever mess with them again as there is almost always a better option funds allowing, but thats just my take on it.
    Also keep in mind who's a paid sponsor around here and keep that in your calculations. It DOES make a difference.

Just curious - how does it make a difference? Please elaborate.
    David

I bought a Grizzly bandsaw and it has been fine.
    I bought a Grizzly Tablesaw, brand new, and it had a problem with its bearings from day 1. Real problem is that the company did not back up its product. After a long farcical episode with Grizzly CS, I had to return the dud at my own time and cost. Repeat: Brand new saw.

Their prices are attractive and lots of people like their equipment, but the trust factor isn't there for me.

So part of what you pay for when buying better stuff is assurance that you won't have 500 lb of useless steel in the middle of your garage.

When you have been on this forum long enough you will read stories of people having problems with brand new machines of every brand out there. There is no such thing as a company that produces machinery that can keep 100% of the customers who buy from them, 100% happy, 100% of the time. Warranties really do not mean much,they simply provide peace of mind,until they are needed. Some companies will work very hard to help you ,others not so much. This is one of the main reasons I buy used equipment,I do not have time to deal with issues. I like to be able to inspect what I am getting and know what I will be dealing with upfront. The overall impression that I get is Grizzly is one of the companies that tries to help customers out. They also stock lots of parts which is impressive to a guy who owns quite a few obsolete machines from brands who no longer exist.

Quote Originally Posted by John Helles View Post
    ...part of what you pay for when buying better stuff is assurance that you won't have 500 lb of useless steel in the middle of your garage.
    I love it.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

In my shop I have the G1023 Table saw, and the G0453Z Planer, about to pull the trigger on the G0495X or G0858 jointer, I just haven't decided which one to get yet.
    So if anyone can help with my dilemma that would be nice as well.
    I have no problem with the Grizzly equipment and I like to buy the best I can without breaking the bank, seems Grizzly has been able to do that for me.
    Customer Service has always been pretty helpful as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Harman View Post
    In my shop I have the G1023 Table saw, and the G0453Z Planer, about to pull the trigger on the G0495X or G0858 jointer, I just haven't decided which one to get yet.
    So if anyone can help with my dilemma that would be nice as well.
    I have no problem with the Grizzly equipment and I like to buy the best I can without breaking the bank, seems Grizzly has been able to do that for me.
    Customer Service has always been pretty helpful as well.
    W1859 $500 off sale. Can't go wrong with your choices above
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

I think the Shop Fox W1859 is the same as the Grizzly G0857. Being the same company I'm not sure what you would get for an extra $250 other than an extra year of warranty.

Would not hesitate to buy one. Nothing I have has disappointed me. Table saw, mortice machine, disk/belt sander.

While 99% of my machines are all good ole american made,if I had to start over and no more vintage machines then Griz would be place I would go shopping.They offer all kinds of level for the beginner to the " I do this for living" kinda guy. But once receive I would become the quality control person and give it the once over very closely.