Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: waitin for the glue to dry....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    My thoughts exactly Derek - the whole point - besides needing the mallet - was the fun of making the mortise thru 3" of walnut. It weighs a shade over 1.5 lbs. When I said the handle was a work in progress, it was for the very reason you point out - I like the idea of a dual grip handle, being able to choke up for the normal work, and go to the end of the handle for some serious pounding.

I'm curious to see how the walnut holds up. I chose the walnut because I had some left over from the conference table, and I'm trying to use up as much as I can of my wood stores, since we are going to be moving. Again.
    Bill, I have added UHMW to the faces of all my hammers/mallets (epoxy and nails). This is fantastic as it is firm yet not damaging, and also lasts.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Other than tradition, are there any advantages with a wooden mallet?
    - less "bounce" than rubber.
    - non-marring
    - can be "custom tuned" for weight
    - can be made so it can be converted into a dead blow - then the added weight removed later to switch it back.
    - in the case of round style carver's mallet - any old way you grab it you have the face towards whatever you want to beat.
    - won't damage what you whack with it like a metal hammer/mallet/sledge will (DAMHIKT)
    - cheaper - usually the best ones are just scraps with an impromptu handle stuck on.
    - can be tailor made to size. Quite often a large mallet is overkill & ill increase the amount of time or work needed. I've actually made a number of them on the spot by pocket screwing a couple scraps together. Of course - those things are for light duty.
    - Size for size - wood can be lighter than rubber. Sometimes - a light whack is better than a bone jarring whack...

Anyhow - last but not least.
    - outstanding project for a kid to make. What kid doesn't love to whack things? Goes for us big kids too. .
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I've made a few.

Heap o hammers.jpg

The small ones get the most daily use. The bigger ones were for a timber framing project with friends helping.