Thread: Is stacking dado set for a shaper a good idea

Is stacking dado set for a shaper a good idea

About 6-8 months ago I posted on adjustable groover cutterheads for my shaper. I have not had funds to purchase anything yet. The other day I read on a thread about having a dado set bored for a shaper. I went online and discovered that ridge carbide has several different diameter sets of stacking dados as well as numerous bore diameters. I looked at a 6 inch diameter set with 1 1/4'' bore available in the 250 dollar range. This is considerably cheaper than adjustable groovers especially as several would be needed to have the same thickness range as the dado set. Am I missing something here ? What are the advantages or disadvantages either way ?Thanks in advance for helping to further educate me on shaper tooling.

Nothing wrong with a stacked dado set on a shaper. The initial cost is less, but when one or more cutters need sharpened you have to send in the whole set.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Nothing wrong with a stacked dado set on a shaper. The initial cost is less, but when one or more cutters need sharpened you have to send in the whole set.
    Be sure the RPM on your shaper does not exceed the max RPM of the cutter.

I have a 30mm spindle for my shaper sp I can share tooling between my saw and shaper, including the dado set.

I also have a couple of adjustable groovers since the dado doesn’t go small enough, and the other groover can be reversed for tenons.

Sharing saw blades is also useful, in addition to the 1.5mm slitting saw I have.....Rod

Rod if you do not mind,which size range of adjustable groovers did you end up with ? Do those and the stacked dado' cover all the bases' for work you do ? And one last question,do you use the smallest thickness range adjustable groover to build mission style doors with the larger groover "split' with a spacer for the tenon part ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Otto View Post
    Be sure the RPM on your shaper does not exceed the max RPM of the cutter.
    Good point,I am fine here my machine has four speeds starting at 3000 rpm.

Most adjustable groovers have replaceable carbide tips so the radius of the cutter will always be the same even after it dulls and the carbide gets turned. A brazed carbide tool will of course change diameters with sharpening and depending on how you may have come to jig it up, this may mean some of your settings/jigs no longer work.

Having a set that works for both the saw and the shaper is convenient, and as you probably would expect, Rod and I would suggest a MAN rated cutter. This will be a VERY heavily used cutter for you and the extra cost of what's best for you will turn into fractions of a penny per use by the time you retire. I suggest you wait, pinch your pennies and get exactly what you want the first time.

Brent
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Check This out:

Not a dado stack but could be. LOL, would be 100% forbidden in Europe due to lack of limitation on depth of cut.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Wow all kinds of potential for excitement of the bad variety in that video. Like how he used the drive to adapt his height adjust wheel.

8D1A0847-1DEE-4E28-B13E-7F8DD10F8FCA.jpg308DEC20-9448-4AA1-BB0A-49BF57A70E70.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Rod if you do not mind,which size range of adjustable groovers did you end up with ? Do those and the stacked dado' cover all the bases' for work you do ? And one last question,do you use the smallest thickness range adjustable groover to build mission style doors with the larger groover "split' with a spacer for the tenon part ?
    Hello Mike, I have a 140mm dia adjustable groover with a range of 4 to 7.5mm. It is often used and does the grooving for mission style doors.

I have a larger groover that is 200mm in diameter and adjusts from 8 to 15mm. There is another Center cutter that’s available to increase the range beyond 20mm however I don’t have it. This cutter also reverses to cut both sides of a tenon at once. I use it for the tenons on mission doors and most other tenons.

I also have a stacked dado, with 30mm bore.

Thanks Rod. That helps to see that I am thinking along the right lines for what I want this tooling to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    8D1A0847-1DEE-4E28-B13E-7F8DD10F8FCA.jpg308DEC20-9448-4AA1-BB0A-49BF57A70E70.jpg

Hello Mike, I have a 140mm dia adjustable groover with a range of 4 to 7.5mm. It is often used and does the grooving for mission style doors.

I have a larger groover that is 200mm in diameter and adjusts from 8 to 15mm. There is another Center cutter that’s available to increase the range beyond 20mm however I don’t have it. This cutter also reverses to cut both sides of a tenon at once. I use it for the tenons on mission doors and most other tenons.

I also have a stacked dado, with 30mm bore.

How long a tenon can you form with the 200mm set?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Thanks Rod. That helps to see that I am thinking along the right lines for what I want this tooling to accomplish.
    I have a set that goes from 3.5 to 15 and is perfect for most grooving, especially for matching odd-sized plywood for mission doors and is my most used set.

Does europe allow non safety cutters in a cnc machine where hands are no where near the work?
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Does europe allow non safety cutters in a cnc machine where hands are no where near the work?
    Bil lD
    Yes, as well as in planers and moulders, obviously not in combination jointer/planers as the jointer is hand fed....Rod