Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Power cord size for 5hp table Saw?

Like I said it's all about that money. Even the factory cord that's supposed to be plugged into the wall was only like 3ft long. No way you could plug it into the wall unless it's right next to it and even then you would be tripping over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    Motor rules are significantly different then for branch circuits, and you can have different wire wire and fuse/circuit breaker combos then what is allowed for a branch circuit, same thing also applies to air conditioning equipment, and welders.

With a 5 HP motor the circuit must be sized from NEC table 430.248 which lists a 5 HP 1Ø motor as 28A @ 230V and 125% of 28A is 35A so if Romex® is used it has to be 8AWG, if THHN is used 10 AWG is 35A (motor rules apply, not branch circuit) is fine. Even if a motor nameplate amperes is less then that NEC table it is still required to be sized from table 430.248.
    It is a branch circuit as the tablesaw in question has a plug/chord and is considered an appliance. You are correct regarding NEC if the motor was hardwired as a motor circuit. However, as an appliance it is covered under UL...different rules. NEC Is not a design manual, it only sets the minimum standards for construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    Can't find many electricians in my area that will come out for $100 Or even $1000. They're cocky in my area.

haha - my area is the same. Going rate for licensed trades is 150 or so per hour, usually minimum of 2 hours plus travel time. If you could even get them to come out to run 1 circuit.