Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you do with your sawdust?

I had a guy that used to want hardwood only material from the dust collector. He used it for fertilizer or something. He hasn't been in touch so it's been going in the garbage as I have no where to really spread it on my property. I would really like to dump it in the woods so it doesn't go to a landfill, but in my area of Jersey I don't think getting caught for 'dumping' is a good idea.

Blog Entries
    Mine often has pvc or treated lumber dust so it canít be used on plants or as bedding. A kid down the street works on cars. He takes a bag from Tim to time to soak up oils. The rest goes to the landfill.

I either compost it or burn it. Lately I dump my dust collector in a wooded side lot and distribute the shavings with a leaf blower. It returns to the soil in a month or so.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    I had a guy that used to want hardwood only material from the dust collector. He used it for fertilizer or something. He hasn't been in touch so it's been going in the garbage as I have no where to really spread it on my property. I would really like to dump it in the woods so it doesn't go to a landfill, but in my area of Jersey I don't think getting caught for 'dumping' is a good idea.
    Sawdust isn’t dumping any more than falling leaves are dumping. Make a pile. Pour a coffee can of high nitrogen pelletized fertilizer on it. Douse well with water. It will be dirt in 6 weeks. Makes great flower bed mulch.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I either compost it or burn it. Lately I dump my dust collector in a wooded side lot and distribute the shavings with a leaf blower. It returns to the soil in a month or so.
    I actually tried to burn it last night (hardwood chips and dust from hickory and maple) and it didn't burn well or even fast. It almost smothered out the ambers from the fire we had going.