Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your sawdust?

Some ideas from a similar thread:

https://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthr...dust&styleid=4

If you live in a busy neighborhood you might consider packing and sealing it in Amazon boxes and then leave them on your front porch. A friend claimed that this works quite well where she lives.

You might also dump it in your pickup bed and then drive down the interstate 20 miles or so.

I put my safer wood saw dust in my compost pile and then add it as needed to my garden areas. The unsafe or mixed sawdust gets bagged and put in the trash.

Charley

I have a home made box below the cyclone of my DC that holds about 70 gallons. When it gets full, I wheel it to my truck, drive 5 miles to the collection center, and dump it in the bin where they take yard and construction waste. I have my house hold waste hauled off but now that I am retired and have a truck, I will probably cancel it and just take everything to the collection center. I put sawdust in their bin a time or two but got nasty notes from the guys on the truck. If I had to haul it to the actual dump I would be looking for another idea. It is probably 30 miles away. But 5 miles is not a big deal to me.

I spread it around the yard in hopes of killing weeds/vines.

I burn it or use it to start other fires

6. I send it off to compost. The only issues is it has be in certain bag rather than just a bin.

I run bags in my drum (55 gallon) and throw them in a dumpster on the way home.

I use one drum for the jointer and planer; this is great animal bedding. The other drum takes everything else and goes in the garbage can. It's a big can and we never fill it with house waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    If you live in a busy neighborhood you might consider packing and sealing it in Amazon boxes and then leave them on your front porch. A friend claimed that this works quite well where she lives.

Charley
    Haha, I just read this, that is funny stuff. Would be great to have a camera in the box to see how happy the thief really is when they open the box.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Spread in the yard, but I have also used it to solidify paint in cans I want to get rid of, and to soak up spills in the garage or basement.

Jeff,

Do a Youtube search for "Glitter Bomb" for some very creative ways to foil package thieves and make videos of them in the act. This guy made a very involved glitter bomb with a camera inside to record the "opening". He also installed a tracking device, so he could retrieve his bomb after the thief discarded it, and use it again.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    Jeff,

Do a Youtube search for "Glitter Bomb" for some very creative ways to foil package thieves and make videos of them in the act. This guy made a very involved glitter bomb with a camera inside to record the "opening". He also installed a tracking device, so he could retrieve his bomb after the thief discarded it, and use it again.

Charley
    Yea that went so viral it was annoying. As I understand it he later admitted those "thefts" were all staged and he knew the people. Dont anything you see on Facebook. lol
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I know that the original question was posed more toward folks who don't live in rural areas, but I can't resist posting my solution since I had to empty the bin today in the middle of milling material for a client project. There's a whole lot of "board feet" of sawdust and shavings there! I suspect that in a few years that if Professor Dr. SWMBO and I "downsize" and end up either closer to town or on a much smaller property, actual disposal will have to start factoring in.

IMG_6733.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

To reiterate something mentioned already, if your waste includes walnut dust or chips, it isn't suitable for mulch or for horse bedding. My local waste authority doesn't want bagged sawdust in the garbage, so if I don't want to use it as mulch, the landfill is one of few options I'm aware of that won't run afoul of the rules where I live.
    Chuck Taylor

I use mostly walnut lumber, and my wife saves boxes for me to fill with sawdust. Keep the boxes filled in the furnace shed, and every morning when I start the fire in the furnace, put a box of sawdust, then some dried wood scraps on top, and 2 pages of newspaper to start the fire. Pile firewood on top and I have a fire going. Excess sawdust goes on my brush pile to burn. I have a few acres and not hard to find a brush pile. The creek runs through the middle of my place, always more dead trees and brush to clean up than I can keep up with.