Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Led Headlights

Led Headlights

I'd like to help my aging eyes for night driving. Anyone here happy with replacing old bulbs with LEDs? Any down side?
    thanks
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    I haven't replaced any with LEDs, but my Honda came with LED headlights & they are easily the best I've ever driven with. The low beams are LED & the high beams are halogen. With night time highway driving I hardly ever use the brights because there's not any real improvement of the LED low beams.

i haven't bought anything from these guys, but their youtube channel has some good, informative videos on the subject. This market is still like the wild west, so be careful what you buy.

Thanks Frank. My car is a 2006 and it takes hi/low bulbs like these https://www.amazon.com/AUXITO-Headli...rd_w=6zVly&pd_
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

My concern, if your vehicle is either Tungsten or Halogen, the replacement LEB bulb might not shine the light against the headlight reflector properly. You may get more and better light, but it may not be directed properly and so, on low beams, may blind oncoming drivers.

On the actual light, I have a pair of LED spotlights on one of my motorcycles, when I turn them on it's like someone just turned day light one, them are amazing, I can cruise at 90mph at night and comfortably see far enough down the road.

Oncoming traffic with LEDs blind me. Especially in rain.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    This reminds me of a story from about 30 years ago. We were visiting friends in Wichita, KS where all the aircraft manufacturers were (some still are). A friend of theirs got tired of people flashing their brights at him so he mounted some landing lights from a corporate jet on top of his truck. When they lit him up, he lit up half the county. I can think of all sorts of reasons not to do something that stupid but back then it was funny.

Blog Entries
    he mounted some landing lights from a corporate jet on top of his truck. When they lit him up, he lit up half the county. I can think of all sorts of reasons not to do something that stupid but back then it was funny.
    That has been one of my fantisies for ages.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    My concern, if your vehicle is either Tungsten or Halogen, the replacement LEB bulb might not shine the light against the headlight reflector properly. You may get more and better light, but it may not be directed properly and so, on low beams, may blind oncoming drivers.
    This is a valid concern...you need to shop carefully on this as your vehicle may or may not perform well with LED depending on the design of the headlamps.

That said, my Ascent has LED headlamps (including pointing them in the direction of a turn) and they are absolutely dynomite, especially for the windy back road driving that's not uncommon here. But I really love them on the Interstate, too. The HID projectors that were on my Grand Cherokee were really good, but these LED lamps are definitely a step above.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Oncoming traffic with LEDs blind me. Especially in rain.
    I wonder how you know they are LED and not HID or other white light technology?

I retrofitted my motorhome with real HID modules from Hella ($500 each, not the Chinese $50 stuff that is horrid) properly aimed and nobody has flashed me yet. My father has a 2017 car with HID headlights and he gets flashed all the time on low beams. I suggested he have the aim checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    This reminds me of a story from about 30 years ago. We were visiting friends in Wichita, KS where all the aircraft manufacturers were (some still are). A friend of theirs got tired of people flashing their brights at him so he mounted some landing lights from a corporate jet on top of his truck. When they lit him up, he lit up half the county. I can think of all sorts of reasons not to do something that stupid but back then it was funny.

Back in the seventies, every other weekend, I made two round trips from Raleigh to Virginia Beach to get and return my son. Trips usually started around 3:30 PM (after work on Fridays,) and same on Sundays, as he had to be back by 8:30 PM. Drove a 73 AMC Gremlin, with a single driving light mounted front and center on bumper. It was controlled by brights thru switchable relay. Coming out of Norfolk, often I would be the only car on the road for miles, especially on the back roads between Franklin VA and Weldon NC. Switch that bad boy on and suddenly it was like driving during daylight hours. Now the newer cars, with their brighter lights blind me, especially if it's raining, or they are cresting a hill. Once worked a job remodeling a hotel. One car there had a driving light mounted on rear deck where brake lights are now mounted. Owner said if someone came up behind him with brights on, and didn't dim theirs, he would turn his light on. Today, that would get you shot. When cars had four headlights, landing lights would often be used to replace the high beams. A landing light cost a heck of a lot more than a sealed beam.

I've installed LED headlights in my 2002 pathfinder.
    I use to run HIDs in the headlights (halogen housings) but I got tired of constantly replacing bulbs and ballast all the time. So I switched to LED. I have to say the cut off on them is MUCH better than HIDs. The way the LED bulbs are designed they shine shielded light on the top half of the reflector housing and it's reflected downward. When I switch to high beams the LED shines around the whole housing.

Here's my huge warning!!!!!!!
    My LED bulbs produce some really bad radio interference. Whenever my headlights come on the radio station becomes really staticy. I've tried adding ferrite coils and it hasn't helped. I normally have to switch to listening to pandora from my phone.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Body View Post
    My LED bulbs produce some really bad radio interference. Whenever my headlights come on the radio station becomes really staticy. I've tried adding ferrite coils and it hasn't helped. I normally have to switch to listening to pandora from my phone.
    Is that AM, FM, or both?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

An odd thing happened to me today. A new car was ahead of me in traffic, and after sitting behind him at a light, he turned away, and I had after images of his tail lights for at least a minute, with my eyes open. I assume they were LED's because they were a bunch of individual spots, shaped just like his lights.

I tried looking in different directions, but the images stayed in the same area of my vision, wherever I looked.

Weird.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I did that in the late 1970's. At the time I was working in a NAPA store. We had access to the entire GE catalog of lighting products. I noted that the aircraft landing light bulbs were the exact frame size of the GE 4001 high beams in my 1967 Pontiac Firebird. The difference was they had a clear flat lens with no diffusion and were double the wattage of the normal high beams. They'd reach out a half mile down the road.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I just installed a set of LED bulbs as a kit in a 2013 Ford Explorer. Much nicer than OEM, crisp cutoff, no issues blinding other drivers. The bulbs have the OEM alignment base, so no issues with aim, etc. I’d recommend the kit (LASFIT 9005/HB3 LED Headlight Bulbs 72W 7600LM LED Headlight Conversion Kits Internal Driver Xenon White 6000K High Beam (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EYQ86A6..._hT-rEbP4A8Y07). A few months on these with no problems.