Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Led Headlights

What's the condition of your lenses? I had the original lights in my Ford Ranger. They got 'foggy' for want of a better term which diffused the light too much. I polished them and it cleared the lens - for a few months. I replaced them with head light assemblies from Amazon and left the lamps that came with the assembly. They're a substantial improvement. I imagine if I replaced the lamps with LEDs they'd be better yet. To check aim I just parked about 10 feet from the garage door and outlined the brightest spots with masking tape. Installed the new assembly and checked aim by centering the brightest spot in the center of the taped area. Worked well.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 02-15-2020 at 8:36 AM.

Blog Entries
    Looking at these for my 2002 class A Winnegabo MH. https://www.amazon.com/Headlights-Re...ct_top?ie=UTF8. Mixed reviews, but at $110 for four 4x6 rectangular replacements, I might try them.
    NOW you tell me...

lenses look as good as new.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    What's the condition of your lenses? I had the original lights in my Ford Ranger. They got 'foggy' for want of a better term which diffused the light too much. I polished them and it cleared the lens - for a few months. I replaced them with head light assemblies from Amazon and left the lamps that came with the assembly. They're a substantial improvement. I imagine if I replaced the lamps with LEDs they'd be better yet. To check aim I just parked about 10 feet from the garage door and outlined the brightest spots with masking tape. Installed the new assembly and checked aim by centering the brightest spot in the center of the taped area. Worked well.

I installed the OEM LED headlight in my Harley about 6 years ago, since I do a huge amount of riding at night in the summer.
    Huge difference, and all to the better.
    I consider that better lighting to be safety equipment.
    My old Mazda B3000 is going to get LED “fog” lights this summer.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    What's the condition of your lenses? I had the original lights in my Ford Ranger. They got 'foggy' for want of a better term which diffused the light too much. I polished them and it cleared the lens - for a few months.
    Did you spray them with clear UV resistant coating, or add UV covers? Absolute worst cars for "foggy lenses," Dodge Neons, and the one with the "Peace Symbol" on the hood. Cheap, either way, as they didn't bother to buy UV resistant head lamp assemblies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    An odd thing happened to me today. A new car was ahead of me in traffic, and after sitting behind him at a light, he turned away, and I had after images of his tail lights for at least a minute, with my eyes open. I assume they were LED's because they were a bunch of individual spots, shaped just like his lights.

I tried looking in different directions, but the images stayed in the same area of my vision, wherever I looked.

Weird.
    Since I got Lasik in 2008, the “flare” of red LED car taillights looks like a tiny but distinct grid pattern. I just assumed that was from the surface the laser leaves on your cornea.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I would visit this forum before installing LED bulbs to replace a halogen bulb: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ycles-Included

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    I just installed a set of LED bulbs as a kit in a 2013 Ford Explorer. Much nicer than OEM, crisp cutoff, no issues blinding other drivers. The bulbs have the OEM alignment base, so no issues with aim, etc. I’d recommend the kit (LASFIT 9005/HB3 LED Headlight Bulbs 72W 7600LM LED Headlight Conversion Kits Internal Driver Xenon White 6000K High Beam (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EYQ86A6..._hT-rEbP4A8Y07). A few months on these with no problems.
    Thanks William. Any radio problems?
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Did you spray them with clear UV resistant coating, or add UV covers? Absolute worst cars for "foggy lenses," Dodge Neons, and the one with the "Peace Symbol" on the hood. Cheap, either way, as they didn't bother to buy UV resistant head lamp assemblies.
    I'll see you're Neons and raise you '94 to mid '96 Lincoln MarkVIII's and this ridiculous '04 Chevy venture van we have. For 4 years the turn signals have been brighter, then a couple months ago my granddaughter's sig-other drove it into a cop car, which took out the left headlight assy and bent the hood. Weirdly enough the headlight 'pocket' was unscathed, so I ordered 2 new assemblies, which required 2 new bulbs. Once installed I was expecting big changes...
    Nope.

It was an improvement, the high beams are now almost in the right position enough and bright enough to be 'adequate' low beams, but the left side shines too far left to leave on all the time. Low beams, the right light is almost adequate, but the left side only shines ahead about 20' before it fades away. Could be the bucket got tweaked, but the next problem: there's 2 adjustment rods, one for up-down, the other for side-side. The side adjustments on both new buckets moves the light slightly up/down, the height adjustments have more adjustment, but wont get high enough. Total improvement, high beams 50% maybe, but overall only 30% or so. Most of the improvement was likely because of the new not-foggy lenses...

The Lincoln's problem was the heat of the 55w halogen lamp would burn the 'mirrors' so bad there was nothing to reflect the light forwards. They switched over to HID lights mid '96, mine was an early model..

My wife's '13 Mustang GT has thee best headlight setup I've ever seen. Don't know if they're HID or LED but they're extremely bright, fully light MY lane, and the high beams are wonderful-- the low beams don't change at all, instead, there's a second just-as-bright pair of beams, aimed right above the low beams, they reach out much farther, and wider....
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Since I got Lasik in 2008, the “flare” of red LED car taillights looks like a tiny but distinct grid pattern. I just assumed that was from the surface the laser leaves on your cornea.

Erik
    Many of the LED taillights are actually blinking at a high rate (multiplexing). When moving my eyes from side to side they leave trails.

Often the way they get brighter for braking is to go full on without the blinking.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I'll see you're Neons and raise you '94 to mid '96 Lincoln MarkVIII's and this ridiculous '04 Chevy venture van we have. For 4 years the turn signals have been brighter, then a couple months ago my granddaughter's sig-other drove it into a cop car, which took out the left headlight assy and bent the hood.
    Drove into a cop car? That might not be #1 on the list of dumbest things somebody could do but it's a certainly in the top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I'll see you're Neons and raise you '94 to mid '96 Lincoln MarkVIII's and this ridiculous '04 Chevy venture van we have. For 4 years the turn signals have been brighter, then a couple months ago my granddaughter's sig-other drove it into a cop car, which took out the left headlight assy and bent the hood. Weirdly enough the headlight 'pocket' was unscathed, so I ordered 2 new assemblies, which required 2 new bulbs. Once installed I was expecting big changes...
    Nope.

It was an improvement, the high beams are now almost in the right position enough and bright enough to be 'adequate' low beams, but the left side shines too far left to leave on all the time. Low beams, the right light is almost adequate, but the left side only shines ahead about 20' before it fades away. Could be the bucket got tweaked, but the next problem: there's 2 adjustment rods, one for up-down, the other for side-side. The side adjustments on both new buckets moves the light slightly up/down, the height adjustments have more adjustment, but wont get high enough. Total improvement, high beams 50% maybe, but overall only 30% or so. Most of the improvement was likely because of the new not-foggy lenses...
    Did you buy aftermarket headlight assemblies? I have seen plenty of recommendations to only buy headlight assemblies from the original manufacturer of the car. Now, that isn't always possible on older vehicles.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Did you buy aftermarket headlight assemblies? I have seen plenty of recommendations to only buy headlight assemblies from the original manufacturer of the car. Now, that isn't always possible on older vehicles.
    Isn't that a good reason to go junk yard shopping?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Isn't that a good reason to go junk yard shopping?
    The recommendation was to only buy new assemblies as most used assemblies are not likely to be all that good. If you can find good ones at a junk yard I would buy them. If your car is old enough to use sealed beam this doesn't apply to you.

Both of the taillight assemblies on my Grand Caravan got broken in a rear end collision. I went to a local used auto parts supplier and asked for the parts. The first left taillight the lady brought out was all broken. The lense on the right one was pretty bad too, but the I can swap the good lense from mine. It appears the place just throws the parts on a shelf or in a bin and lets them get scratched and damaged. A little more care would mean less of them going in the trash and more profit.

I ordered a used left tailight in mint condition from Ebay. The problem is poor packaging caused it to break in shipping. I found the pieces in the box so it was likely good when it was packed. Ebay pictures were not broken.

Blog Entries
    I ordered a used left tailight in mint condition from Ebay. The problem is poor packaging caused it to break in shipping. I found the pieces in the box so it was likely good when it was packed. Ebay pictures were not broken.
    Some of the ebay sellers have no idea how to pack an item or how rough of a ride their packages receive in transit.

One of my heavy spokeshaves came in a paper envelope. It was fortunate it ended up in my mailbox since half of it was outside the envelope.

My wife bought something once that was tossed in a box sealed with one piece of tape. All that arrived was the empty box.

jtk