When we lost our beloved Senegal Parrot Tosca (RIP) last year at only age 24, the administrators of the Senegal Facebook group we belong to gifted us a wonderful painting in remembrance of our bird. One of those folks is a good friend and she lost her Silas (RIP) a couple of months ago unexpectedly, too. So in a "pay it forward" effort, I've created and gifted her a cherry urn for Silas's remains. Naturally, my CNC did the work as it's pretty much become my "go to" for almost anything. You know...that "to a hammer, everything is a nail" kind of thing.

This project is a two-sided cut with two components that are stacked. The material is 50mm (2") thick from material off-cuts from a cherry dining table I constructed last year. I'm a pack rat and keep stuff like that. The field at the top uses TR's linen effect...a very fine version of it with a .0625" tapered ball nose at 51% for both 35º and -35º. The edges of the lettering were cleaned up with a tiny 1mm cutter. The finish is just Tried and True polymerized linseed oil and is very silky to the touch. There was a bit of tear-out because I had to use a .25" shank relieved long cutter for the cut-outs as I had buggered my .375" long cutter on a previous project and the replacement wasn't yet ordered...chatter and the inability to do a full depth final pass made for a lot of sanding. But I love the end result and the young lady will undoubtedly love it, too.

IMG_6659.jpg

IMG_6660.jpg

IMG_6662.jpg

IMG_6664.jpg

IMG_6665.jpg

IMG_6667.jpg

IMG_6678.jpg