Thread: Am I crazy if I like my Craftsman Lathe?

Am I crazy if I like my Craftsman Lathe?

I have a vintage Craftsman lathe model 113.228162 that was manufactured in the mid 80s. I really enjoy it and it seems to be doing a great job. I am new to turning but bought the lathe new probably 35 years ago. Using the old Craftsman tools and also have a set of Chinese no name tools that I have not used yet. I don't know what advantages I would realize from a newer lathe but this one seems to do a good Job.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

No, you are not crazy. If you enjoy using it and make projects you like, that's all that matters.

No sir, you are not crazy. If it's working for you and you enjoy using it, by all means keep going. I have a Nova 16-24 lathe I bought 12 or more years ago, and although I sometimes wish I had variable speed, it does just fine. And I have some old Craftsman turning tools too, and they do the job well. Always remember...it's not what you have, but how you use it that counts.

Thanks. I like that "it's not what you have, but how you use it that counts.".
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

"Always remember...it's not what you have, but how you use it that counts"
    very good saying

I think of that when I look at a tv/stero cabinet I made back in mid80's with some cheap tools and remind myself that I need to do better with all the fancier tools I have now.
    Definitely easier for me with the way better(more expensive) tools not certain on the quality being that much better in relation to the tool cost difference.

Main thing that you are enjoying what you are doing
    Ron

6. Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    "Always remember...it's not what you have, but how you use it that counts"
    very good saying

I think of that when I look at a tv/stero cabinet I made back in mid80's with some cheap tools and remind myself that I need to do better with all the fancier tools I have now.
    Definitely easier for me with the way better(more expensive) tools not certain on the quality being that much better in relation to the tool cost difference.

Main thing that you are enjoying what you are doing
    Ron
    I agree. I personally don't think there is necessarily or even usually a correlation between the quality of the tools and the quality of the work produced. A good craftsman does quality work regardless of the tools and a hack will do shoddy work no matter what the tool budget is. It may be easier with nice tools, but more $$$ isn't a silver bullet. Work with the tools you like and can afford.

I always think back on my dad's meager shop and the nice work it produced when I debate a purchase that I might or might not want to spring for. Don't get me wrong, I do splurge on some nice tools when they will enhance my shop experience because I can afford to and will enjoy using them, but I try not to lose sight of the old adage "good enough really is good enough".

I agree with everything said, and if that lathe meets your needs, then there is absolutely no reason to change. However, if you find you want to turn larger or slower or have the convenience of variable speed, etc. then it may be worth upgrading. Happy turnings!
    Tom

Not crazy, BUT, have you ever turned on a high end lathe? If you don't know what you are missing, you can easily be thrilled with what you have. I had a nice Delta reeves drive variable speed lathe. Then I went to John Jordan's school and turned on a Oneway 2436. I ordered the Oneway a few months latter. That was 1998. Also, tons of people were thrilled with their Pinto cars. But then a bunch of people became fireballs with a rear impact! Pretty sure the others were happier when they upgraded.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 02-14-2020 at 1:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    No, you are not crazy. If you enjoy using it and make projects you like, that's all that matters.
    +1. What Bill said.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”