Thread: Anyone have experience with the Laguna 18CX bandsaw?

Anyone have experience with the Laguna 18CX bandsaw?

I was asking about a small, good-quality bandsaw here a few weeks ago because I live in an apartment. Inca was recommended, and I managed to find a used one available at Eagle Tools. The wonderful guy there (Jesse) fixed it up really nice, the price was high but not outrageous, but when I finally saw it in person I realized it's just way too small for what I want to use it for.

So anyway, I'm now looking for a large 115V bandsaw and Laguna makes one that is 115V and has multiple speeds... the 18CX. Does anyone have experience with this saw? Are the 18" 115V options from Shop Fox or Jet any good?

-Nick

What exactly are you cutting?

An 18" saw and an INCA are two totally different tools for different purposes.

Do do you need throat width, cutting height, or both ?

If you're thinking you'll resaw 10-12" with a 115v saw you are going to be disappointed with the results.

I don't have room for a shop but a bandsaw, even an 18" one, doesn't take up too much space compared to a table saw. I will mainly use it for ripping, hence the Inca being too small, whereas I can put a 1+" blade on the 18CX and rip, obviously, up to 18" wide boards. I have a track saw for larger sheet goods.

I'm also looking at the Laguna 14/12. I've had a 14bx that I loved, and the 14/12 would probably suffice, but there are times that I wish I had a way to cut metal and the 18CX is capable of that.

I know it sounds silly to do this sort of thing in an apartment/balcony, but I miss woodworking and where there is a will there's a way.

I was going to respond that while I don't know much about the 18CX, I have a 14BX 220v and love it, however since you already know the quality of Laguna, i don't need to go there. My guess would be that any Laguna saw would be great and needed a 2 speed, the Laguna 18CX could sure handle that. Is the amount of metal work you plan on doing worth the extra money?

I don't know about the 18CX for I have an 18BX and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    I was going to respond that while I don't know much about the 18CX, I have a 14BX 220v and love it, however since you already know the quality of Laguna, i don't need to go there. My guess would be that any Laguna saw would be great and needed a 2 speed, the Laguna 18CX could sure handle that. Is the amount of metal work you plan on doing worth the extra money?
    No, but then again the woodworking I would do on it wouldn't be worth the money either. It's just a hobby. The way I see it is that these are durable machines that lose little value over time (especially when used by a hobbyist) and I can always fire sale it for 80 - 90% of the sale price if I needed cash quickly. That's how I calculate what something actually costs me, not by what I pay for it, but the difference in what I pay for it and what I could sell it for quickly. Vacations & services = expensive stuff. Durable goods that hold value, not so much.

Just trying to wrap my head around this, and not to be a downer, but...

I'd do some careful measuring before committing to a 18" (or 17", even some 14") saw. Got to be pushing 7' in height, probably 400 pounds +/-. How do you get it up the stairs when it's delivered? Will the crate make the turn in the stairwell? When standing it up, will you clear the ceiling? Is the balcony door tall & wide enough to take it out? Getting it to rollover the sliding door track might require a base with larger wheels. Balcony rated for the weight? Dust collector that can handle 2 4" ports going to disturb the neighbors? Definitely the footprint on an 18" is not much bigger than a 14", but some of the rest gets a little sketchy pretty quick.

Would be a wild ride, and i'm hoping you take pictures--'cuz we aren't going to talk you out of it!! Can't wait to see it!!
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Just trying to wrap my head around this, and not to be a downer, but...

I'd do some careful measuring before committing to a 18" (or 17", even some 14") saw. Got to be pushing 7' in height, probably 400 pounds +/-. How do you get it up the stairs when it's delivered? Will the crate make the turn in the stairwell? When standing it up, will you clear the ceiling? Is the balcony door tall & wide enough to take it out? Getting it to rollover the sliding door track might require a base with larger wheels. Balcony rated for the weight? Dust collector that can handle 2 4" ports going to disturb the neighbors? Definitely the footprint on an 18" is not much bigger than a 14", but some of the rest gets a little sketchy pretty quick.

Would be a wild ride, and i'm hoping you take pictures--'cuz we aren't going to talk you out of it!! Can't wait to see it!
    earl
    Lol, yeah I've done a lot of thinking about it and I go back and forth between believing it's a really dumb idea and believing it's a dumb idea but not that dumb. My plan would be to remove the motor from the frame, perhaps remove the wheels and move everything from my truck bed up the two flights of stairs separately. I'm a pretty big guy and have been lifting weights for years, not that I could manhandle a 400 lbs bandsaw, but I believe I could carry a 200 lbs frame up some stairs. It would be an absolute hellish job to move this thing, you're right. I bet I don't end up doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shattuck View Post
    Lol, yeah I've done a lot of thinking about it and I go back and forth between believing it's a really dumb idea and believing it's a dumb idea but not that dumb. My plan would be to remove the motor from the frame, perhaps remove the wheels and move everything from my truck bed up the two flights of stairs separately. I'm a pretty big guy and have been lifting weights for years, not that I could manhandle a 400 lbs bandsaw, but I believe I could carry a 200 lbs frame up some stairs. It would be an absolute hellish job to move this thing, you're right. I bet I don't end up doing it.
    You would have to completely dismantle the saw to get the weight of the largest component down close to 200 pounds, and even then it would be hella awkward to get the frame up two flights of stairs. You would be better off moving to a ground floor apartment. And as someone else suggested, getting it past the sliding glass door on/off the balcony would steer you away from ever using it. So there's that.

Plenty of very serviceable hobbiest-owned USA-made 14” Delta bandsaws out there. Much easier to break down and re-assemble if moving into an awkward space.

Have you considered discussing this with the landlord? Installing a nearly 500lb, 6-1/2ft, sawdust making piece of machinery into your residence could be an issue. Also would this be partnered up with a dust collector? Having neighbors separated from your unit by a single wall, noise might also be something to consider. Just saying....
    Last edited by Vince Shriver; 02-15-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Even if it weighs 400lbs just removing the table and the motor would put it at about half the weight. Like Peter said one of the 14" cast band saws would be a good compromise. Should be able to find one with a 1.75 110v motor on it.

The BEST solution...
    1. Buy the 18CX
    2. Have it shipped it to my address
    3. I'll break down my 14" Ridgid cast clone
    4. I ship the 14" to you in the Laguna crate (with riser block and rolling base at no extra charge!!)

You get the "feel" of a Laguna 18" shipment, with a machine that's easier to get up the stairs!!

Just seems too good to pass up to me...
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Shriver View Post
    Have you considered discussing this with the landlord? Installing a nearly 500lb, 6-1/2ft, sawdust making piece of machinery into your residence could be an issue. Also would this be partnered up with a dust collector? Having neighbors separated from your unit by a single wall, noise might also be something to consider. Just saying....
    No dust collector except one of those festool vacs that is in the shape of a systainer. In my experience, bandsaws don't throw dust around like circular/table saws so I'm not too worried about the dust. I may be wrong, and my wife will let me know, if I use this thing in our bedroom and dust gets everywhere. The reason for getting a bandsaw instead of a table saw is the noise and dust difference. Bandsaws are quiet, relatively safe, and the saw dust gets carried down with the blade into the machinery's cabinet and the airborne dust can be captured with a shop-vac.

Nick - I'm going to be the guy that rains on your picnic.

This is one of the biggest follies I've heard in quite a while. Your are correct that where there is a will there's a way. But, that doesn't make the endeavor worthwhile or practical.

1. the metal cutting ability is going to cost you $1000 over the wood only model. You better cut a lot of it to justify the capability.

2. The thing weighs nearly 500lbs. , not 400. It's over 6' tall too.

3. bandsaws make a LOT of dust too., maybe less than a tablesaw- but not so much less that your wife would even notice. ITS GONNA BE DUSTY !

4. sure it's quieter, but not so much that your neighbors are going to make a distinction.

5. the festool ct-sys is toy. it is not practical or even suitable to hook up to a saw 4" port. even if it were, the bag would fill in 2 min. this isn't even a discussion.

6. the mobility in and out to your porch has been covered. - don't dismiss the hassle it will be - and see below too.

7. you're assessment of re-sale optimistic at best ! Very optimistic, through rose colored glasses. Few if any tools sell for 80-90% of new. Save for festool because they never go on sale and have a price increase every year. Laguna is on sale once a quarter, and you live around the corner from the factory so to speak. In addition, Laguna's bandsaw bones were made on their Italian saws with American motors. - which this is not. These are a good value , but don't have cult status like the Italian bandsaws do. making them less desirable. You might sell a saw for 10% off new, but "quickly" in Los Angeles at that price is a crap shoot at best. and don't forget the new owner is going to have to retrieve it from a 2nd story walk up ? Good luck with that !

8. ripping can be done fairly well with a carbide blade, but still not to the quality of a tablesaw or tracksaw unless your lucky AND the saw is tuned to a inch of its life. Doubtful if you're constantly moving it and have no dust collection.

9. do you have a 20A circuit available to the room ? don't take this for granted. Bedroom circuits are often 15a in apartments and shared with other rooms.

10. be sure your deck will support a 700lb. point load. Many decks are under engineered to begin with and I'll bet few if any contemplate this amount of point load at all. you could have a very dangerous situation for you and your neighbors.

11. you are mistaken about sizing vs. a tablesaw. A bosch or dewalt jobsite saw are designed to be stored on their sides and take up about half the footprint of an 18cx , and 1/4 9or less) of the total volume. Cost: $3-500. both designed to attach to a shop vac - your ct-sys is still not going to be up to the job though.

Sounds more to me like you want a big bandsaw more than you need one for tasks you do. And, are just trying to justify / rationalize it in your mind.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 02-16-2020 at 3:31 PM.