Thread: Wahuda/Cutech Planer and Jointer

Wahuda/Cutech Planer and Jointer

I've been looking at Planers and Jointers in the small shop/beginner category and I've been looking at the Cutech lines because I've read nothing but good things about them. Cutech recently rebranded as "Wahuda Tools" and came out with a new line of Jointers based off the original Cutech Line. It's basically the same design with improved cutting heads, a cast iron top and longer fence/supports.

Long story short, I bought the 8 Inch Wahuda Jointer and a 13 inch Cutech Planer, both with carbide cutters because they were offering a free shipping promotion. I will give you guys a detailed review of the Wahuda Jointer once I have it up and running and I've used it a it.

Hopefully I don't regret my gamble, but it seems like a good brand just starting off. Sometimes you got to take a chance with the little guy.
    Last edited by PHILIP MACHIN; 02-13-2020 at 9:24 PM.

Philip - I bought the Cutech 8" jointer 5 months ago and am very pleased with it. I think the kind of work you do will have a lot to do with you satisfaction with it. Most of my stuff is made from rough boards and 90% of the pieces I mill are 5' and under. For milling this size of lumber it works great, and the ability to dress 8" boards in a small hobby shop like mine is a real plus. I've done some 7' boards on it but it was frankly a struggle. The finish the spiral head leaves is pretty amazing - better than my Dewalt planer with new blades. The alum tables are scratched up, but it doesn't affect the work - and I waxed the tables so the work glides well. All of the adjustments are still solid, and the fence - which was my biggest worry since it's pretty cheesy looking - is still dead nuts 90 degrees to the table. So for a small shop doing mostly chairs, end tables, bookcases, clocks, boxes etc it is a great investment.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Iíve read a lot of reviews on the Cutech version that sounded positive. It sounds like they are addressing some of the complaints with the new rebranded Wahuda version. It has an iron table top and a sturdier fence and infeed/out feed support.

Like yourself, the longest board Iíll ever have to work with is 8í, and Iím willing to make some adjustments for the rare occasion that happens.

The cost of Jointers and Planers seems to skyrocket exponentially after 8/13Ē respectively. I think these cutech bench units are a reasonable amount of bang for the buck for your run of the mill garage Woodshop flunky like myself.

I ordered one of the new Wahuda models, that shipped at the end of January. It arrived literally a day or two before I had to head out for a trip, and I haven't had a chance to do much more than unbox it. Looks pretty nice - hopefully it performs as well as it looks.

The Cutech/Wahuda planers look like the older Ridgid benchtop planers which were pretty well regarded. One thing to be aware of, evalulate the likelihood of knives being available in the future. Some benchtop machines have indexing pins and slots in the cutterhead & knife respectively. They're great in that its quick and easy to change knives but the knives MUST have those slots, can't just buy and install generic knives. There are also 'standard' sized carbide cutters for spiral heads and non-standard carbide cutters. I prefer standard sizes for if/when the manufacturer no longer sells machine specific cutters.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; Yesterday at 9:23 AM.

This occurred to me after I already ordered it. Maybe Iíll load up on cutters just incase. I noticed there are some third party tool companies offering blades on amazon. Not sure of their quality, but at least theyíre out there if needed.
    Last edited by PHILIP MACHIN; Yesterday at 10:11 PM.