Thread: Need Advice on Cabinet Door Repair

Need Advice on Cabinet Door Repair

We've got some Mission Style cabinets in our kitchen that I need to repair. They are about 10 years old and the panels are coming loose.
    The panels are veneered plywood so shrinkage shouldn't be a problem. The frames are rabbeted with the panels inserted and then pinned in.
    The first photo shows how the panel is separating from the frame.

Cabinet 1.jpg

This second photo shows one of the pins that has come loose.
    Cabinet 2.jpg

What would be the best way to secure the panels. Should I just pin them again, or should I use some hot glue?

Thanks, Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Since the panels are plywood, why not just glue them. Use some pin nails to hold them while the glue sets up. I would avoid hot melt glue it really isn't permanent.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The panels look like they might have been finished separately and then installed. Maybe the frame was finished separately, too. Take a look because normal glues don't stick to finished wood. Hot melt will, but that's a poor choice. Construction adhesive might be a better choice.

I wonder if those doors originally held glass panels? Very strange way to make a wood panel door.

John

When inserted, are the panels flush with backside of the frame? If not, I would say they aren't original to the doors. Because there is a finish on all sides, and edges, glue isn't going to hold, so it's back to the pins.

FWIW- In my experience Gorilla Glue will adhere nicely to prefinished surfaces. Just don't put on too much as it expands as it cures.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    When inserted, are the panels flush with backside of the frame? If not, I would say they aren't original to the doors. Because there is a finish on all sides, and edges, glue isn't going to hold, so it's back to the pins.
    Bruce: Yes, they are flush with the back panels. The manufacturer had the same style of door with glass inserts as well.
    I think that both the frame and inserts were finished separately and then assembled.
    I guess my concern is if I pin them are they going to separate again in a couple of years.

You could use bolts and nuts.... I would pull the panels off and then lightly scuff the edges where it sits in the rabbet and use epoxy for glue. Probably have to stick one or two pins in to hold it while the glue drys. Or better yet lay the door flat with a bigger book on the back and let gravity hold in place till dry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Betker View Post
    Bruce: Yes, they are flush with the back panels. The manufacturer had the same style of door with glass inserts as well.
    I think that both the frame and inserts were finished separately and then assembled.
    I guess my concern is if I pin them are they going to separate again in a couple of years.
    You could put in some #4 X 1/2" c-sunk wood screws using the existing brad holes with or without glue to hold the panels in place.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Use glass clips inside.
    Bill D

I'm leaning towards trying the glass clips and see how that works. I was thinking of something like that last night and Bill's suggestion confirms that it is not too crazy of an idea.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

Maybe the problem is slamming the doors. Soft closers would help if that's an easy option, or drugs.

Maybe the problem is slamming the doors. Soft closers would help if that's an easy option, or meds.