Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Hope Chest

Christmas Hope Chest

This is a hope chest that I made for my wife's Christmas gift. It is my own design, and it meant to compliment the design and style of the jewelry chest I made for her earlier this year (see this http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=jewelry+chest thread for pics of it).

The chest is joined with though dovetails made using my PC4212 jig, using techniques from the advanced supliment instructions. Those techniques were using different sized dovetail than what is supplied with the jig, variable spacing of the dovetails, and since the sides were too large to fit in the jig, I also followed the directions to build a block to mount the template which you clamp onto the board.

The lid is basicly a frame and panel constuction. The center panel is an overlapping tongue set into a goove in the outer frame so no gap with ever show, yet it still allow for expansion and contraction. The outer frame has miter corners with paduak spines glued in for strength and added accents. The inlay around the top is also paduak.

The bottom of the chest is solid 3/4" aromatic cedar set into dados in the sides of the chest. I plan to make a lift out tray for the inside, but I ran out of time to get it done before Christmas.

And just like the jewelry chest, this chest also has a secret compartment, actually it has two. The molding on the bottom hids them. Both of the end moldings are actually drawer fronts.

To open the drawers the dovetailed in the corners are slid forward. The dovetails have stops on the back so they will not slide right out (they also stop when sliding them back in).

The drawer can then be opened.

Sorry about the not so great pictures, I had to take them in the basement, since my wife hasn't seen the chest yet. We are doing our Christmas tonight, so hopefully she likes it!
    Thanks for looking,
    John

very nice john!

Great work. I really like that hidden drawer. The dovetail catches are a really clever touch. So, according to the jewelry case thread, the body of the pieces is soft maple? I've never seen maple look like that although the figure does look like it. Guess I just learned my new thing today.

Very cool!

Only one problem. The secret of your secret compartment is out!

The secret compartment is the BEST! I love it, your wife will love it, great job, it came out gorgeous.

Lucky woman! Your greatgrandchildren will be using that chest. Love the hidden drawers. Excellent craftsmanship.

Merry Christmas, Tom

PS: How about a pic of her reaction when she sees it tonight?
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Love those DT. The wood choice is striking. Excellent work all around.

Very nice work John! SWMBO is really going to like that! I like the hidden compartments, the dts and the cedar bottom! Very nice!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very Nice, I love your wood selection..Fantastic job!

Nate

Really nice craftsmanship Nate! I sure your wife will treasure this precious gift. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.

Merry Christmas
    Bob

Before Xmas

Very nice work. Blanket chests are alot of fun.
    I am sure she will be very pleased.
    But please dont post too much more, the fact that you got it completed before christmas puts some of us to shame

Dave
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

Sorry guys, forgot it in the original post, but yes, the primary wood is soft maple. This was some very colorful maple that my brother and I got from fellow that does some sawing. It has tons of character and best of all it only cost .50 bd ft!

Dave,
    I was very happy I got it done before Christmas, I didn't think I was going to. I was pushing it though, just finished it up last night!

Thanks for the compliments guys, but don't be afraid to criticize anything about it either, I haven't been at this for very long, so I won't be offended, and consider it a learning experience.

Thanks,
    John

Very nice John. She is going to love it. That hidden drawer is cool.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

John that's beautiful. Hidden drawers though? I have enough trouble finding stuff now

Great job, John!

My wife wants a chest too--but I AIN'T showing her this one--she'll want something like it and I can't do it (yet).

BILL FIELDS