Thread: Craftsman/Parks 12" Planer

Craftsman/Parks 12" Planer

Model 112.23490

Any thoughts on this one. Thinking that if I buy it, I'll install a shelix head in it.
    Also have an Oliver 399.

Sorry I have no clue why the pictures won't post right side up.

112.23490 planer 3.jpg112.23490 planer 1.jpg112.23490 planer 2.jpg112.23490 planer 4.jpg

I have owned one of these for 40 years. Made by parks in Cincinnati. Built like a big planer with standard chipbreaker, feed roller and bed roller adjustments. You can download the manual at OWWM.

I run the original cutterhead with back-beveled knives. I have a bigger planer outside with dust collection- this serves very well in the shop.

I had one and liked it pretty well, but eventually converted to a combo J/P to get the wider jointer in a single footprint.
    Bob Vaughan had a planer tune-up article and video that featured this planer.
    I was able to tune out the snipe that had been causing problems with my lunchbox planer.

Width is limited to 12" and parts aren't readily available, so a bit of a project.
    I just bought straight knives. These are fiddly to set, although not terrible.
    Not sure that I'd get one if I knew I was also going to be spending for a spiral cutterhead (what price are you seeing for this? what parts need to swap out? You can see manuals at owwm)

Looks like the previous owner did build a dust port. I built mine out of wood, and chip collection worked pretty well with a 1.5hp DC attached.

Matt
    Last edited by Matthew Hills; 02-13-2020 at 9:16 AM.

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Get...rformance.ashx

Bill D.
    Might give some idea on what is involved in cutterhead replacement. I had to replace the bedrollers bearings as they were worn out. Easy press in new bronze sleeves job.
    Bil lD