Thread: Glass etching

Glass etching

Is there something other then vinyl you can use for a stencil to etch glass with etching cream. Something I can cut out the stencil on the laser and not worry about the fumes and all?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Pretty sure there are laserable resists on the market, what about LaserTape?
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

I don't know whats available , I've never done any etching, so I don't know how the stuff affects the resists.
    Just looked up laser Tape looks like that would work. Thanks
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

is there anything else that would work?
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I have not tried it but have you checked peel-able paint. It dries so thin that if it has toxic stuff it might be small when lasered. I would check the msds too.
    Kim
    Epilog Legend 24TT

HI No never heard of peel-able paint. is this a mask of some kind?Ok I googled it. don't think this would work. I need to cut a stencil with laser then apply that stencil to what ever glass surface I want ot etch
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 02-24-2020 at 11:53 PM.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Any polyester tape or film would work. For sandcarving flat substrates I use Lazer's Edge Tape from Specialty Tapes (FAST). It can also be acquired through JDS Industries. It is red in color.

I have never used etching cream, so have no idea if lasering through the standard films would leave an adequately cleared surface for cream application. You may discover that the result of cream etching of laser engraved glass is as awful looking as plain old laser engraved glass.
    -
    David Takes
    Expressions Engraved
    St. Joseph, MO

Bert,

See this video on you tube. Gives you an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDVWnBepTFs
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

what I want to do is laser cut the stencil then apply that to a window then put on the etching cream. It still has to be able to stick to a window after take it from the laser
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

The problem with that is that you need to have a carrier to hold the pieces together and the only way to get this, at least that I know of, is with washout resist like R3 or R5. There isn't anything suitable for glass that is laserable that has a carrier.

Since you don't need much thickness for the resist to work, how about making a reverse-image rubber stamp and using something like Plasti-dip for the "ink"? There are other paint-on mask materials but I'm not sure which, if any, will hold up to the etching cream. I know they hold up to sandblasting as I have used them before.

guess Im gonna have to try a couple different things to see if something works.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I use a vinyl mask that I cut on my CNC with a drag knife