Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show and Tell - My First Ever Coffee Table Build

Show and Tell - My First Ever Coffee Table Build

Recently I finished up my first coffee table build, and just wanted to share. I'm proud of it, but don't look too close, I'm a rookie afterall Overall this was a really enjoyable build. I bought the logs from a guy that had a storm take down the trees. I hauled the logs to my local sawmill where they were milled to 8/4 and 5/4 boards. Then, I had to let the wood air dry for a couple of years in my dad's barn. Finally, I was able to turn it into something - something that will (hopefully) outlive me.

I can't take credit for the design - inspired by a 1950s Jens Risom table I found somewhere online.

https://mattmartinbackup.s3.amazonaw...offeetable.mp4

I like the design, and the Wood has some nice figure. What was the finish that you used?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zucker View Post
    I like the design, and the Wood has some nice figure. What was the finish that you used?
    Thanks, Todd. I used General Finishes Arm-R-Seal for the finish.

Blog Entries
    That's a beautiful table John. I love Arm-R-Seal & it's probably the finish I use the most.

Blog Entries
    What wood did you use and what is the finish in it?
    Nice table.

John,
    That is one nice looking table! I like the design and finish.
    My tastes lend toward less sharp corners having had many foster children pass through here.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    That's a beautiful table John. I love Arm-R-Seal & it's probably the finish I use the most.
    Thank you, Frank. This is my 3rd piece I've finished with Arm-R-Seal and the best result yet. I think I am starting to get comfortable with it so I'm going to keep using it. I just wish it was more readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    What wood did you use and what is the finish in it?
    Nice table.

Thank you, Lowell. This is air dryed black walnut finished in Arm-R-Seal satin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    John,
    That is one nice looking table! I like the design and finish.
    My tastes lend toward less sharp corners having had many foster children pass through here.

Bruce

Thank you, Bruce! I really enjoy some of the midcentury designs. What is your method for easing the corners?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM Martin View Post
    What is your method for easing the corners?
    I use a block plane prior to sanding.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM Martin View Post
    Thank you, Bruce! I really enjoy some of the midcentury designs. What is your method for easing the corners?
    I use a block plane prior to sanding.
    Try a few of these:

Molding Planes on Shelf.jpg

Smaller hollows are great for doing just a corner. The bigger ones are good for a full edge:

Good Work.jpg

A well tuned plane with a sharp blade can virtually eliminate the need for sandpaper.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice design and some great figure in those boards. And even better since you know the source of the boards. Will look forward to seeing your next project.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    To elaborate further; I generally prefer the look of a chamfered edge to a round over. But just doing a chamfer with a plane still leaves those 45* corners that are a little too sharp. A quick pass with 220 grit sandpaper softens them slightly without rounding them too much

Blog Entries
    To elaborate further; I generally prefer the look of a chamfered edge to a round over. But just doing a chamfer with a plane still leaves those 45* corners that are a little too sharp. A quick pass with 220 grit sandpaper softens them slightly without rounding them too much
    On the bottom row of planes the 4th & 5th plane from the right both make chamfers of different sizes.

With the molding planes it is possible to make infinite shapes:

Alder Molding.jpg

This is a much larger size than most tables would use, but it illustrates possibilities.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-13-2020 at 4:33 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very nice table. What are the dimensions?