Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: palm router

palm router

i have been looking for a good palm router and i wanted the plunge base with it also,,i found one on amazon,,its called a mophorn which i have never heard of before,,but it does come with alot of attachments including the plunge base and the reviews werent all that bad,,,i was just wandering if anyone knows anything about this router and could give me some input on it,

The Makita and all of it's clones are pretty nice. The Mophorn you are likely looking at looks for all the world to be another of those clones, and a really good deal at $90. I have the same router under another brand that I bought for $70 a few years ago, and like it a lot. Makita accessories all fit, too.

John

I have been thinking of getting the MCLS Rocky model, putting the regular base and router in my extension table, and using the plunge base with my cordless Makita. I understand it is all interchangeable.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I have been thinking of getting the MCLS Rocky model, putting the regular base and router in my extension table, and using the plunge base with my cordless Makita. I understand it is all interchangeable.
    Rick, these are very light duty routers to put in a router table. But yes, most of the parts seem interchangeable. I bought mine from Grizzly and my friend gave me a bunch of stuff from a Rocky. They all fit, as did some Makita parts I bought.

John

Hi John,

I wasn't very clear in my post. I currently have a PC 690 in the wing of my Unisaw, and use it simply for quick roundovers, and the like. Very light duty, and a waste of the 690. The little Rocky would be just fine for this, and free up the 690 as well as giving me a plunge base for the Makita.

I have a full size RT as well.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Jeff,
    I fully recommend the DeWalt 611, I have 3 and sold my bosch Colt. The 611 is very well balanced, has two lights in the motor housing and does have a plunge base.

I second that, its the only one I found that didn't slip/tilt when locked down and I hate Dewalt stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Jeff,
    I fully recommend the DeWalt 611, I have 3 and sold my bosch Colt. The 611 is very well balanced, has two lights in the motor housing and does have a plunge base.

I had the colt and for the life of me I couldnt keep it from self lowering. I tried everything. I ended up giving it away and bought a dewalt and have 0 complaints

+1 on the DeWalt 611. Recently used it hand held to round the bottom edge of a 2'x4' coffee table top.

i just picked up the new milwaukee fuel cordless unit. i like it - good dust collection, nearly immediate shutoff (the bit stops almost instantly when you turn it off), and it's stable and seemingly easy to use. of the three, i reach for that one first. second is the dewalt, or if i need the plunge base.

Quote Originally Posted by David Zaret View Post
    i just picked up the new milwaukee fuel cordless unit. i like it - good dust collection, nearly immediate shutoff (the bit stops almost instantly when you turn it off), and it's stable and seemingly easy to use. of the three, i reach for that one first. second is the dewalt, or if i need the plunge base.
    +1 Cordless is the way to go on these trim routers. I have the Makita with all the gizmos. (previously I had the Bosch and DeWalt but like the Makita the most.)

I 2nd both the DeWalt 611 and the Makita (both corded and cordless).
    Love the convenience of cordless & the extra power the LiIon battery delivers (Makita).

The DeWalt is just plain fun to use - -but - I'm thinking now that I have the Makita w/a plunge base - I no longer need the DeWalt.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    +1 Cordless is the way to go on these trim routers. I have the Makita with all the gizmos. (previously I had the Bosch and DeWalt but like the Makita the most.)
    I've mentioned this before: if you need to use dust control, then I see little point in a cordless trimmer.

Having said this, if I was geared up for an 18v Makita battery, the cordless would look good as it has an internal light (I have the corded Makita version, which does not).

Regards from Perth

Derek

FWW did a review of cordless trim routers recently. Worth a read. I ended up picking up the Bosch. It is not suitable for plunge work, but for edge work, and even dovetailing, it's fantastic. The reason is that it has a long base, and is shorter than the other cordless ones. All the weight at the top of the cordless router can possible make it tippy. I suspect most people don't find that a practical problem, but YMMV.

Like the review says, I am surprised by how long the charge lasts for mine.

Side note: I got a combo with a small cordless driver, which is nice for tighter spots.

So not what you asked for, but FWIW...

I have a Dewalt 611. I have not tried the others listed,but can say the Dewalt is one sweet little router. the plunge base is very smooth and holds it's settings well. Also very easy to switch bases.The lights on the machine at first seemed like a gimmick,however in use are very nice.