Thread: Canister Filter Orientation

Canister Filter Orientation

I am considering converting my single stage dust collector to a 2 stage but I am trying to conserve as much space as possible. One thought I had was to use a filter that is open at both ends and mount it horizontally up against the ceiling instead of vertically taking up a bunch of accessible wall space. Then I would put a bag at the end so I could see if any chips got blown in there, but I'm not sure that would be all that useful.

Has anyone else ever mounted their filter horizontally instead of vertically? How did it work out for you?

Have not but I would be concerned that it would be hard to clean. With vertical orientation, when you clean either by blowing from outside with compressed air or using inside beater bar (or whatever its called), the dust falls out the bottom into the bag or canister. With horizontal orientation neither of those cleaning methods would work. Can't think of a cleaning method with a horizontal orientation that wouldn't end up with a lot of fine dust back in your face and the shop.

The canister filter on my cyclone is mounted vertically, but I take it off the machine to clean it. I’d expect to do the same with a horizontal canister.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Have not but I would be concerned that it would be hard to clean. With vertical orientation, when you clean either by blowing from outside with compressed air or using inside beater bar (or whatever its called), the dust falls out the bottom into the bag or canister. With horizontal orientation neither of those cleaning methods would work. Can't think of a cleaning method with a horizontal orientation that wouldn't end up with a lot of fine dust back in your face and the shop.
    As the person below posted, when I would be cleaning the filter I'd be removing it to clean it anyways so I'm not terribly concerned with that. The only thing I have thought of that could be an issue is if I forget to empty the dust bin then it could back up into that filter and I might not be able to see it due to the dust not getting to the bag on the end. I am not sure. I guess it is always worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Fenneman View Post
    ... The only thing I have thought of that could be an issue is if I forget to empty the dust bin then it could back up into that filter and I might not be able to see it due to the dust not getting to the bag on the end. ....
    If the filter gets clogged, you'll notice that the system doesn't pull dust well. DAMHIKT.

My thinking exactly. I think I will try it.

Blog Entries
    Hmmmm... I guess if you're removing the filter to clean it, then not too big of a deal. Although in my case, I have the Wynn filter carriage bolted in place and wouldn't want to have to fuss with it like that but I guess there are ways around that (although I try to mess with the fine dust as little as possible, so cleaning in place rather than transporting seems better to me).

My bigger concern (founded only in my brain, not in any actual know-how/science) is that a vertical install allows "even loading" of the filter and also enables any that gets past the cyclone to use gravity as its helper towards the catch mechanism (bucket/bag). Conversely, it seems to me that the horizontally installed filter would get really caked on the "down" side compared to the "ceiling facing" side, and that more debris would land on the filter (instead of bucket/bag).

Maybe negligible issue, but those would be my concerns.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I think the dust accumulation on the the filter will be self balancing. Say some part of the filter accumulates more dust than other parts. Less air will flow through that area. The higher air flow elsewhere will carry more dust there, accumulating more dust there.

Not sure your filter plan, but filters come in every size and shape if you go through an industrial supplier. You could actually have something like 3 20" tall filters lined up vertical side by side rather than 1 60" tall filter.

Horizontal mounting would complicate clean out, and be less efficient, but is doable.

I would think a horizontal filter, like others have said, would be more difficult to clean. Probably have to remove it to clean it.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Has anyone else ever mounted their filter horizontally instead of vertically? How did it work out for you?
    In my previous shop I converted my PM1300 to a 2 stage. For reasons such as yours I mounted my filter horizontally. It worked just fine, I dont see a bag at the end doing much IMO but you could sure give it a shot. I had to remove mine to clean it, more of a pain to do but again it worked fine.
    Last edited by Jeff Monson; 02-14-2020 at 9:55 AM.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff norris 2011 View Post
    Not sure your filter plan, but filters come in every size and shape if you go through an industrial supplier. You could actually have something like 3 20" tall filters lined up vertical side by side rather than 1 60" tall filter.

Horizontal mounting would complicate clean out, and be less efficient, but is doable.

Thanks for the thought Jeff. I am trying to keep the cost down as low as possible also. More individual filters would require more fittings and piping solutions as well as what I assume would be higher cost of filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    In my previous shop I converted my PM1300 to a 2 stage. For reasons such as yours I mounted my filter horizontally. It worked just fine, I dont see a bag at the end doing much IMO but you could sure give it a shot. I had to remove mine to clean it, more of a pain to do but again it worked fine.
    Thanks for the insight Jeff. I am going to give it a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    Hmmmm... I guess if you're removing the filter to clean it, then not too big of a deal. Although in my case, I have the Wynn filter carriage bolted in place and wouldn't want to have to fuss with it like that but I guess there are ways around that (although I try to mess with the fine dust as little as possible, so cleaning in place rather than transporting seems better to me).

My bigger concern (founded only in my brain, not in any actual know-how/science) is that a vertical install allows "even loading" of the filter and also enables any that gets past the cyclone to use gravity as its helper towards the catch mechanism (bucket/bag). Conversely, it seems to me that the horizontally installed filter would get really caked on the "down" side compared to the "ceiling facing" side, and that more debris would land on the filter (instead of bucket/bag).

Maybe negligible issue, but those would be my concerns.
    Bob you actually gave me an idea here. I could attach some short strings on the outside of the filter cartridge here so I could see if there is little or no flow going through a portion of the filter. This would be similar to how automotive designers are able to view air flow over cars for example.

Thanks for the thought Jeff. I am trying to keep the cost down as low as possible also. More individual filters would require more fittings and piping solutions as well as what I assume would be higher cost of filters.
    Yes my guess is it would be. I strongly suggest if you want to save money check out the industrial filter folks. They will com in half the price of buying a 'name brand' filter for the same specs. If you don't have one local let me know and I can shoot a company that does online sales with $20 shipping.