Thread: New From Laguna

New From Laguna

This looks like a pretty nice lathe for those with not much space.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX_p..._hsmi=83208532

Neat! It's great that turners continue to see new products offered pushing the boundaries of usability and quality.

This one has an adjustable tailstock quill.. Kinda seems like solution in search of a problem, and I wonder if the plate would move around over time.

PrecisePoint.jpg
    Above image is from the manual https://lagunalathe.com/15-24
    Last edited by David M Peters; 02-12-2020 at 12:33 PM. Reason: added pic

Seems like the quill adjustment is a way to compensate for poor quality control in manufacturing the tailstock in the first place. I wonder if the adjustment hold over the whole range of quill extension, or is really only good for how ever far the quill was out when you adjusted it....?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Thorpe Allen View Post
    Seems like the quill adjustment is a way to compensate for poor quality control in manufacturing the tailstock in the first place. I wonder if the adjustment hold over the whole range of quill extension, or is really only good for how ever far the quill was out when you adjusted it....?
    Don't understand the comment..... it's like saying a car manufacturer provides adjustment for a front end alignment to compensate for poor manufacturing of the front end in the first place!!

Barry, I guess I don't see a wood lathe's tailstock quill assembly being subject to the same kind of wear as a vehicle front end. Either the machining of all the lathe's parts is to spec and within tolerances so that the centers align, from the get-go, or it isn't.... As David says, "seems like solution in search of a problem." That's all.

Oh well.... I guess that any company that brings out a tool with something that's adjustable on it is just compensating for poor manufacturing......

I like it. Big capability in a small space. Innovative Design.

Finally they have a solution for their spindle lock, which isn't a lock.

It is now spring loaded, which as I understand, means you set it, attach or un-attach your chuck or whatever, then move the spindle via the handle and your spindle lock springs back.

As for the tail stock centring assembly, I've seen a huge German metal lathe with something very similar decades ago in Germany. Would certainly beat mucking around with various movements to perfectly align the head and tail stock assemblies.

Thanks for the link Barry.

Mick.

The tailstock offset helps to turn tapered items like pool cues and fly rods on a pattern lathe where the wood is angled and you make a straight cut with a carriage/cross-slide running parallel to the bed. I don't see a whole lot of use on a wood lathe without the carriage.