Thread: 25mm Router Bit?

25mm Router Bit?

I have some 25mm Baltic birch ply I am going to use for bookshelves. I need to cut some dados and am wondering if there is a router bit of this size? I did some searching online, but couldn’t find one. I can always make a jig, but would prefer a single bit. Thanks in advance for the help.

Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hendershott View Post
    Question in my mind would be --- What is the shank diameter? I could not find that info on the amazon page.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    Chip, this comes up pretty commonly but a nice solution to this is to simply cut a rabbet on both sides of the end and make the board so that it can fit into a slot made by a typical router bit.

This has three advantages, the first being that it makes use of typical router bits, the second being that the fit is tunable, the final being that it hides minor inconsistencies.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks. I should have mentioned that I saw this one. The problem is that the earliest delivery date is the end of the month.

Cut the grooves/dados using two passes with a narrower cutter...it's the only way to exactly match the real thickness of your plywood. It's never going to be exactly 25mm or whatever. Using a 25mm cutter will sometimes match, sometimes be too wide and sometimes be too narrow. That's the nature of sheet goods. It also pays to have a decent caliper to measure actual thickness, too, and be sure to to it over multiple points as the thickness will vary in a single sheet of goods.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the responses. I will just make a dado Jake to fit my ply. Really appreciate the help!

I started using the two pass method a number of years ago and the only thing better is my CNC for matching plywood thickness.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I rabbet the shelf ends on my table saw withe the material in the vertical position. This allows me to exactly tune the tongue to the depth and thickness of my dadoes.