Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening Router Bits

Sharpening Router Bits

My Freud rail & stile set is starting to show signs of dulling. I have hit the flat surfaces with a diamond paddle but didn't see any difference. Does anyone send bits like this out for resharpening and if so, who do you use?

Yes, however I'm in Toronto so my vendor won't be much help.

My brother did indicate that the rail and stile bit worked better than new after sharpening........Rod.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Giving your location would get you better answers. Whiteside sharpens their own quite reasonably. Freud is handled by any number of sharpeners around the country. If all else fails and you have a local Rockler or Woodcraft, they will send then out with a small fee added on. Try to use a place that you can get some feed back on first. I have had local shops ruin some cutters for me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Oella Saw and Tool in MD is a great resource.

I have had great service from this firm. If you click on the link below, it comes up as Fletcher Business Group which advertises router bit sharpening as part of their services and I believe they have other locations.
    Atlas Saw & Tool, Inc.
    7801 Industrial Dr., Suite B
    Spring Grove, IL 60081
    (815) 675-1333
    Toll Free: 888.484.1488
    http://atlassaw-tool.net

In the San Francisco Bay Area Sartor Quality Saw Works in San Francisco is my go-to place. Never been disappointed and prices are very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    In the San Francisco Bay Area Sartor Quality Saw Works in San Francisco is my go-to place. Never been disappointed and prices are very reasonable.
    He's in Toronto.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I'm in Atlanta but usually send my Forrest blades to either Dynamic or Forrest for sharpening so I might just send this set along with my next blade job.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    He's in Toronto.
    Maybe I missed something (I’m on a mobile device), but OP didn’t list his location in post nor in his bio. He did follow up after my comment (and yours) that he’s in Atlanta, not Toronto. Had I known that I wouldn’t have commented. Curious why you singled me out when others before me recommended sharpening services all over the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Krawford View Post
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I'm in Atlanta but usually send my Forrest blades to either Dynamic or Forrest for sharpening so I might just send this set along with my next blade job.

Totally off topic, which service do you like better, Dynamic, or Forrest?

I was happy with the results from both Forrest and Dynamic. Since Dynamic is a bit cheaper, I'll probably stick with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Totally off topic, which service do you like better, Dynamic, or Forrest?

I was happy with the results from both Forrest and Dynamic. Since Dynamic is a bit cheaper, I'll probably stick with them.
    That's been my experience. Had a NEW WWII that hit a hidden SKU staple damaging several teeth. Sent it to Forrest. Forrest charged for teeth, TWO sharpenings (face, side and top.) By time they got thru, I was only a couple bucks under what I paid for blade new. Sent a friends 100 tooth melamine blade that hit a piece of trash metal inside a sheet of melamine and also damaged teeth. Was very surprised when we got bill, as they only charged for replacing teeth, and sharpening.

If you're in Atlanta is Highland any help?