Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Continental Divide?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    Are you sure?
    I’m not sure how different truth in advertising laws are in New Mexico vs. Canada, but calling margarine “butter” might be a real no-no almost everywhere.
    In NM, the speech of the common citizen does not obey truth-in-advertising laws. I'm referring to the fact that people use the word "butter" to refer to products that are actually margarine. In the display cases of stores the multitude of margarines sold under the brand names such as Smart Spread, Blue Bonnet etc. greatly outnumbers the few offerings of genuine butter.

As to the shape of slabs of butter, it would be easy for people who use margarine to enter the conversation and confuse the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Grier View Post
    I thought tillamook factory in Tillamook, Oregon produced dairy products including butter from the 1800s to present day. I remember touring the factory in the 50s.
    We visited there last fall, interesting factoid "Cheese-making was a minor part of Tillamook County’s dairy industry until 1894, when cheesemakers Harry Ogden and T.S. Townsend induced Canadian immigrant Peter McIntosh to settle in Tillamook County. McIntosh had learned the art of cheese-making in his home province of Ontario."

OT, but when I think of cheese the picture burned into my mind is of endless rows of stacks of thousands upon thousands of 82lb wheels of Parmigiano Reggiano in a huge warehouse in Italy. THAT's cheese.

Parmigiano-Reggiano_IMG_3587.jpg Parmigiano-Reggiano-IMG_3564.jpg

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Yummmmmmm!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    I prefer margarine to real butter.
    For some questions in life there is no wrong answer. This is not one of those questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    A loaf of bread has to weigh one pound ,or more by federal law. Does butter have to be at least one pound as well?
    Bil lD
    Bill
    Hi Bill,

I did not find a law requiring butter to be at least a pound, but there is a federal law that prohibits retail sale of colored margarine in weights over one pound. 21 U.S.C. Sec 347(b)(2). The butter lobby has traditionally been stronger than the margarine folks, so I doubt there is a minimum butter weight.

Where did you find a federal law requiring bread to weigh one pound or more? The only thing I could find on bread weights came from the Code of Federal Regulations (21 CFR Sec. 136.3):

Definitions.
    For purposes of this part, the following definitions apply:
    (a) The word bread when used in the name of the food means the unit weighs one-half pound or more after cooling.
    (b) The words rolls and buns when used in the name of the food mean the unit weighs less than one-half pound after cooling.

This is just a definition for purposes of interpreting the rest of the regulations, but it obviously anticipates breads with weights below one pound. I found several state laws, perhaps outdated, that required bread to be sold at certain standard weights, but those usually seemed to allow weights under a pound as well. I found a Supreme Court case from about a hundred years ago interpreting one of the state laws on weights, but it does not create any federal minimum weight standard.

Regards, Jon (who didn't enjoy practicing law, but apparently missed doing legal research!)

My folks ran a small store in Ohio during the 50's. The Margarine, at the time called Oleo, or OleoMargarine, came with a little tube of yellow coloring, which you mixed into it at home.

I remember my dad telling me that Wisconsin (The Dairy State) had gotten the Feds to pass laws against Oleo that was colored yellow. It was a big deal at the time.

We ate the Oleo at home, because it was cheap. I still remember it leaving a coating on the roof of my mouth. Not like what we call Margarin now.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    OT, but when I think of cheese the picture burned into my mind is of endless rows of stacks of thousands upon thousands of 82lb wheels of Parmigiano Reggiano in a huge warehouse in Italy. THAT's cheese.

Parmigiano-Reggiano-IMG_3564.jpg

JKJ
    I count 22 cheeses per column, x82lb = 1804lbs of cheese each column, by what, 50 rows? that's over 45 tons of cheese!

Know what amazes me more than all that cheese? ---- That those wood shelves and whatever they're attached to are holding it all up!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    For some questions in life there is no wrong answer. This is not one of those questions.
    Haha! Yep.

Blog Entries
    When I was a kid it was illegal to color margerine. Each pound of margerine came with a small packet of coloring that you could mix in, but we never bothered. One day my sister was making sandwiches & grabbed the lard instead of margerine. They look the same, but certainly don't taste the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    Hi Bill,

I did not find a law requiring butter to be at least a pound, but there is a federal law that prohibits retail sale of colored margarine in weights over one pound. 21 U.S.C. Sec 347(b)(2). The butter lobby has traditionally been stronger than the margarine folks, so I doubt there is a minimum butter weight.

Where did you find a federal law requiring bread to weigh one pound or more? The only thing I could find on bread weights came from the Code of Federal Regulations (21 CFR Sec. 136.3):

Definitions.
    For purposes of this part, the following definitions apply:
    (a) The word bread when used in the name of the food means the unit weighs one-half pound or more after cooling.
    (b) The words rolls and buns when used in the name of the food mean the unit weighs less than one-half pound after cooling.

This is just a definition for purposes of interpreting the rest of the regulations, but it obviously anticipates breads with weights below one pound. I found several state laws, perhaps outdated, that required bread to be sold at certain standard weights, but those usually seemed to allow weights under a pound as well. I found a Supreme Court case from about a hundred years ago interpreting one of the state laws on weights, but it does not create any federal minimum weight standard.

Regards, Jon (who didn't enjoy practicing law, but apparently missed doing legal research!)

My Mom told this law appeared during the depression in California because baker started to make smaller loaves so people could afford them and thought they were getting a full loaf for the new price.

The differences between butter and margarine
    The most important difference between the two is that butter is derived from dairy and is rich in saturated fats, whereas margarine is made from plant oils. It used to contain a lot of trans fats, but as mentioned above, manufacturers have now started phasing these out.Jan 8, 2020
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I have a hard time believing, as the article asserts, that there was no butter manufactured west of the Rockies in the '60s and earlier.
    And rightfully so!
    I grew up in SoCal in the 60's and I promise you there were some big dairy operations in LA County. Getting butter was never a problem. They made it by the rail cars full.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    My Mom told this law appeared during the depression in California because baker started to make smaller loaves so people could afford them and thought they were getting a full loaf for the new price.
    I saw several references to state laws regarding bread weights. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if California had one. Just not a federal law that I could find.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    Nowadays, margarine is called "butter". I prefer margarine to real butter.
    Margarine was developed as a cattle feed supplement. It's 1 molecule away from being a plastic. At least that is what I learned, before the internet.
    The cattle didn't like it, so they feed it to us.
    Remember the Parkay ads?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7-vau8DiU0

In Mi, butter is in sticks, like a large pen blank, 4 in a block. Or an uncut block.
    We stop at a grocery store in Glennie to pick up some Amish butter, when we get up that way.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 02-14-2020 at 8:52 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night