Thread: Have you heard of AMW (American Machine Works)?

Have you heard of AMW (American Machine Works)?

I'm in the market for a slider and have been seeing sponsored ads on Ebay for the AMW PS05 sliding table saw. I can't fi d anything on this company but they seem to be made domestically and cost $8,500 brand new. Seems to good to be true but they look as though they are direct copys of the older basic F45 from altendorf. Any thoughts or insight is appreciated.

Never seen, nor hear of. Link?

Looks like most of the Chinese sliders I've seen. The notched table lock is identical. Look at Biesse, Baleigh, Oliver, Cantek, etc. The roller system does look like an Altendorf copy. Dave

The verbiage on that ebay posting about the saw strikes me as being typical of Chinese sourced goods. There are grammatical and syntax features that are not American or British English, so perhaps yes, it is in fact made in China.

I think there's a way that if a certain % of a product is assembled in the USA it can be heralded as being made in the USA. Bit like when they knock a house around here they leave a single wall standing, so the project qualifies as a remodel, not a new build. Typically that section of wall is demolished and replaced right after the appropriate inspection is passed.
    Last edited by Mark Gibney; 02-11-2020 at 6:22 PM. Reason: clarification

Less than $8500 buys you a used saw that is way better than those knockoffs. Dave

No way that's made in the US for that price. Seller also has 0 feedback so that's kinda sketchy in my opinion unless you can find reviews elsewhere.

I'd look at Grizzly's offerings. They've come a long way in the slider market, and are very competitive and well-built for the price. Could also look at auctions for used. I keep a good eye on them. A Minimax SC4 sold in North Dakota a week or two ago for $2400, and a Minimax S315WS ('16 too) sold for $4800 or so, just a few days ago in Virginia. I almost bought it lol. There's a number of used Altendorf's and similar constantly on auction. I believe there's a few going right now. Check sites like MachineryMax and IRSauctions. Request the owners contact info from the auction house, most guys are super friendly (as they're usually retiring and are pretty happy about it lol) and will happily palletize if they can for you for shipping/pickup.

All about what I had thought. I need a 10' rip capacity and altendorf has always stood out to me as being a class above. I know other companies make quality sliders but if I'm buying used I'm buying the standard bearer. I'm opened to being convinced that altendorf isn't the best. It's mostly just what I have experience with. This thread started because i would be interested in supporting a domestic start up if that was indeed what I was looking at which does not seem to he the case.

Altendorf uses a dumb bell roller system vs ball bearings like most saws. Some like it, some don't but not a deal breaker. Pre 1995 machines have phenolic ways which wear more quickly so those machines need to be checked out. I rehabbed a SCMI SI 16 WA which is a step down from Martin or Altendorf but still heavy. Takes 16" blade, with scoring and three speeds. They were plentiful so I bought a second saw for parts and have about 5K in both. Any three phase commercial saw in good condition will give lots of service. Condition is important but older saws were very heavily built and tend to hold their settings, regardless of age. Darcy will have some favorites. Dave

I have a couple 80s era Martin's that seem like solid saws.

I know a shop that bought the most expensive grizzly slider for the only reason that they can get parts fast if needed.

It was a decent machine, but when it starts to wear out, you throw it away, not repair/rebuild it.

I am with Mark on this one.

I know it says US manufacture, but no American would have worded the ad copy as it is.

I am old enough to remember when Japanese goods were said to be labeled USA. They named an area USA in Japan, and labeled goods 'Made in USA'. I don't know if this was truth, or urban legend, but it made a good story on the news.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 02-12-2020 at 12:50 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Maybe South America