Thread: dust topper from home depot for shop vacs

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

dust topper from home depot for shop vacs

I'm a couple weeks into a setup where I have a cart that holds a ridgid shop vac that is running 2.5" hose through a dust topper / 5 gal bucket setup from home depot. I use this to direct-connect to handheld tools as a supplement to a full dust collection system.

I picked the dust topper for a couple reasons... Locally available and in-stock, good price point, easy setup (totally plug and play), and most importantly... low profile to sit inside the aforementioned cart.

My initial usage was somewhat mehhhhhhhhhhhh. I felt like suction from the brand new and powerful shop vac was weaker than expected, and after some reading and reasoning I determined that lid fit to top of "homer" bucket wasn't perfect.

So, I bought some 1/4" wide weather stripping, lined the top of the 5 gal bucket with that, and reinstalled the dust topper.

Woah. Huge difference.

In any case, I've seen threads on this here before (and even saw the inventor chime in one time) but thought I'd give a current day assessment. Overall, I'm satisfied with the fit for my needs at the price paid (including the minor customization).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)