Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dust topper from home depot for shop vacs

Blog Entries
    UPDATE:

Well, the dust topper bit the dust (pun intended) already. All of the sudden my shop vac wasn't giving nearly as much suction and I found that the 5 gallon bucket had imploded. Yes, it was a "homer" bucket as specified by dust topper.

At this time, I'm still using the shop vac setup, but have simply equipped it with a fine filtering bag. I think the dust topper is going into the garbage unless I can find a way for it to be useful.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    UPDATE:

Well, the dust topper bit the dust (pun intended) already. All of the sudden my shop vac wasn't giving nearly as much suction and I found that the 5 gallon bucket had imploded. Yes, it was a "homer" bucket as specified by dust topper.

At this time, I'm still using the shop vac setup, but have simply equipped it with a fine filtering bag. I think the dust topper is going into the garbage unless I can find a way for it to be useful.
    What does the bucket imploding have to do with the Dust Topper? It’s not the fault of it. Just get a new bucket or cut out a plywood ring to go inside. Or you could build a square or round ring type structure around the outside in the middle of the bucket and screw it on to keep the bucket from imploding.

Agreedo. For $39 or whatever this thing is, it's no DD but it works a treat. I dropped mine within 3 minutes of ownership and cracked the side but it still does its job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Robbinett View Post
    What does the bucket imploding have to do with the Dust Topper? It’s not the fault of it. Just get a new bucket or cut out a plywood ring to go inside. Or you could build a square or round ring type structure around the outside in the middle of the bucket and screw it on to keep the bucket from imploding.

Blog Entries
    Sorry for long delay on this... I set the dust topper aside and came across it yesterday which got me thinking about this again... I like your thoughts around either finding/building a stronger bucket (or similar) or reinforcing a bucket.

Although, between having to rig a better seal on the lid, and now having to fuss around with the bucket too, the enticing price of the product, common availability at local stores, and "ease of use" are not feeling like a great deal anymore. That said... it's still the only option I'm aware of that could possibly fit inside a mobile cart which is one of my requirements, so I will give that a try soon and report back.
    - Bob R.

I have no experience with the Dust Deputy but from what I’ve read it out performs the Dust Topper. That said, my main motivation with going with the DT was its low profile and being able to store it under the TS wing in my small shop. I have not had any issues with the bucket collapsing. Performance was greatly improved by adding weather stripping between the bucket top and the DT.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Dbbl. stack a 2nd bucket . no collapsing . You remove the PSI of the atmosphere enough to get by . I've also got a couple Dust stoppers . The low profile worked inside a couple of work stations where a DD would be too tall . I do believe the Dust Deputy works a little better than the shorter Dust Stopper , but no regrets here .

The 2nd bucket works, but not for that reason (removing outside air pressure from the inner bucket.)

To buckle/collapse the inner bucket, part of it has to have room to expand (buckle outward). The second bucket supports the inner bucket and prevents this.

Plywood, stiffening rings, either inside or outside the single bucket, will also work.

The DD deluxe kit includes the 2nd bucket, which also has casters mounted to its bottom.

And it is made in the USA.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

I use a dust deputy on top of a 4.5 gallon drywall mud bucket. My vacumn is a Rigid with a really big motor (I think it's labeled 6hp) and a tiny dust compartment (3 or 4 gallons). The vacumn connects to the cyclone with PVC piping and a Bosch 5 meter hose connects to my sanders, track saw, and domino. I have an auto on switch on it. It's noisy but works well. My bucket has never failed. I sometimes stand on these things (others exactly the same in my shop for collecting little offcuts). Are you guys using the clean buckets they sell at the big box stores? If so, I'm not sure they are the same as a bucket that came with drywall mud in it. That stuff is heavy and it takes a sturdy bucket to transport it. No vacumn should collapse a real mud bucket.

Our son, a heavy equipment mechanic get hydraulic fluid in 5 gallon buckets that are at least twice as thick as a Homer / drywall compound bucket. They are a bit of a problem to clean put, but are much heavier duty.

The black bucket in my picture above is actually a 7 gallon. It had animal fat or something like that in it at one time. A friend that owns a restaurant gave it to me.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have one of each - Dust Deputy and the Dustopper - one with each tool grouping and with two shop vacs. They both work fine for what they are, but nothing's perfect. At least with the DD I can see the dust swirling to know its working. I use the basic plastic 5-gal buckets. To help with tipping on the dust deputy, I use two buckets, the outer one I put a weight in the bottom 10 pound I think.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    The 2nd bucket works, but not for that reason (removing outside air pressure from the inner bucket.)

To buckle/collapse the inner bucket, part of it has to have room to expand (buckle outward). The second bucket supports the inner bucket and prevents this.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Ahh, makes sense! Good tip!!
    - Bob R.