Thread: 20" disc sander sanding discs

20" disc sander sanding discs

I have an older Central Machinery 20" disc sander. Is there any reason why I couldn't use 20" floor sanding discs on it?
    Even if they wear out faster there is a huge price difference 2/$20 for the disc sander vs 20/$60 for the floor sander.

Thanks

I would think that there MAY be a difference in abrasive quality and longevity...but if they were actually equivalent, then it's a no-brainer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What weight backer is on the floor sander discs? Is it held on with a center nut? I wonder about getting a heavy weight cloth disc to stick to the 20" machine. Disc adhesive doesn't have a great amount of tack and may have trouble holding the floor sander discs tight to the plate.

When I was looking most of what I found was screen cloth discs when it came to floor sanding pads. My 20" sander uses PSA, I wasn't sure if it would work with the screen cloth. The other style had a hole in the center that didn't seam much cheaper than what I've been using now. I've been buying the Kinspor discs off of ebay. They seam to last a very long time.

Check the recommended rpm, floor sanders spin slow.