Thread: Bark on for casting

Bark on for casting

I have a great piece of spalted maple so I知 trying to use every piece.
    I was going to cast a small piece of it in resin. The bark is still solidly attached on I was thinking about leaving it on.

I致e never left the bark on in a casting, wasn稚 sure if it would crumble or cause integrity problems when turned.
    Last edited by bob pfohler; 02-08-2020 at 1:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob pfohler View Post
    I have a great piece of spalted maple so I’m trying to use every piece.
    I was going to cast a small piece of it in resin. The bark is still solidly attached on I was thinking about leaving it on.
    Keith Lackner gave a nice talk on casting for turning at our local woodworkers club last week and he emphasized removing all of the bark as during seasonal movement the resin will be adhered to three bark but not necessarily the wood underneath and it may fall apart.

Moisture level at casting time and air entrapment would be the two things I worry about. Both will depend on what resin you intend to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Cooper2 View Post
    Keith Lackner gave a nice talk on casting for turning at our local woodworkers club last week and he emphasized removing all of the bark as during seasonal movement the resin will be adhered to three bark but not necessarily the wood underneath and it may fall apart.
    Great point, glad I asked. Thanks, I wish we had a turning club.
    Maybe I値l start one. Maybe I値l start another thread on starting a group.

Woodturning club

Quote Originally Posted by bob pfohler View Post
    Great point, glad I asked. Thanks, I wish we had a turning club.
    Maybe I値l start one. Maybe I値l start another thread on starting a group.
    AAW lists a chapter club in Heinsburg, VT, looks like about 1:52 from you if you avoid tolls and ferry. Or 1:30 otherwise. I知 a member of two clubs here in TN and some of us carpool and drive a little further than that to one every month. (The other is 45min to an hour for me depending on traffic.). Both clubs are very active.

I suspect the biggest thing about starting a club is finding the meeting space and a lathe. A member in one club here donates use of his shop and lathe every month - he has things on mobile bases and moves them to make room. The other club meets in a Woodcraft classroom.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    AAW lists a chapter club in Heinsburg, VT, looks like about 1:52 from you if you avoid tolls and ferry. Or 1:30 otherwise. I知 a member of two clubs here in TN and some of us carpool and drive a little further than that to one every month. (The other is 45min to an hour for me depending on traffic.). Both clubs are very active.

I suspect the biggest thing about starting a club is finding the meeting space and a lathe. A member in one club here donates use of his shop and lathe every month - he has things on mobile bases and moves them to make room. The other club meets in a Woodcraft classroom.

JKJ
    Thanks but 3 hrs round trip drive time and $25 for a ferry is a little more than I want to travel.
    If I start a chapter here maybe we can use my shop, It値l give me an excuse to buy a bigger lathe.
    Besides, my shop is connected to my mancave which has a golf simulator and an adult beverage center!

FWIW,
    If you decide to start a chapter the AAW site has lots of helpful resources including info on insurance, best practices, job descriptions and more. Here's a link but you'll probably need to sign in to get the full list of articles.
    https://www.woodturner.org/

From the top menu:
    CHAPTERS > START A CHAPTER
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    FWIW,
    If you decide to start a chapter the AAW site has lots of helpful resources including info on insurance, best practices, job descriptions and more. Here's a link but you'll probably need to sign in to get the full list of articles.
    https://www.woodturner.org/

From the top menu:
    CHAPTERS > START A CHAPTER
    Thanks, I値l create an account and do some research

Yesterday I cast some pen blanks and left a little bark on the Yellow Cedar burl. I'll let you know what happens. I did stabilize the YCB before I cast it.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Yesterday I cast some pen blanks and left a little bark on the Yellow Cedar burl. I'll let you know what happens. I did stabilize the YCB before I cast it.

Good luck, this was one of the things that was mentioned as a possible way to improve bark adhesion as the stabilizing resin will penetrate the piece and adhere the bark to the base wood. The concern is essentially that a high viscosity resin (most casting resins) won't penetrate and bond inside of the object.

So how do I sign up for the new Chapter?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    So how do I sign up for the new Chapter?
    Your in but you have to bring some Laurentide eh.

Wonder if stabilized bark would be safer? Don稚 think I壇 try unstablized bark.