Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another router table question: sound deadening

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    No, I don't believe I have a thread specifically on it, but I started with it about the time I put in my MiniSplit and ordered my CNC machine. My shop ceiling got R30 insulation and then I stapled up "inexpensive" acoustic ceiling tiles rather than putting them in a drop-frame. I wasn't trying to make it look super pretty...I wanted to cover the insulation (required for fire code) and provide a nice reflective surface for my lighting. Both of those goals were accomplished and the "extra" benefit was the tremendous reduction in sound transmission. Honestly, if I turned off the HVAC system, my shop is "dead silent" enough that I believe I could easily record an album out there if I was so inclined. Some of the tiles I sourced from the ReStore and the remainder came from Lowes. You can see the ceiling in this shot from my Ring camera that's in the shop...

Thanks Jim- that’s great information!

2. Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I always wear hearing protection when running a router or a sander. That does a pretty good job of noise reduction.
    Same here. Not sure why I have not yet sprung for Bluetooth hearing protection, as when I have lots of sanding or routing to do I slip in earbuds and listen to a podcast or music.

Note that stapling is not a particularly enjoyable way to put the tiles up You get rained on by ceiling tile dust which hurts to breathe (and is probably full of silicates or other bad stuff). I stapled the first 5 of my ceiling and then used 1 1/4 screws for the rest.

I have noticed in the band room and orchestra room they have acoustic tile so on the ceiling and on some of the wall. The wall is glued? on and stops 6" short of the ceiling it comes down several feet but stops well short of the floor. Big patches of wall with no tiles. So they feel any little bit extra helps but no need for total coverage to get some benefit.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Note that stapling is not a particularly enjoyable way to put the tiles up You get rained on by ceiling tile dust which hurts to breathe (and is probably full of silicates or other bad stuff). I stapled the first 5 of my ceiling and then used 1 1/4 screws for the rest.
    Totally agree, although I stapled the whole thing. Eye and breathing protection mandatory and I also wore a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have noticed in the band room and orchestra room they have acoustic tile so on the ceiling and on some of the wall. The wall is glued? on and stops 6" short of the ceiling it comes down several feet but stops well short of the floor. Big patches of wall with no tiles. So they feel any little bit extra helps but no need for total coverage to get some benefit.
    Bil lD.
    You can actually make a room "too dead" relative to sound for most applications. So yes, some "moderation" is a best practice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey Jim, Just curious, in your shop photo: what are those two yellow things with the black elephant trunks in the right hand foreground?
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Hey Jim, Just curious, in your shop photo: what are those two yellow things with the black elephant trunks in the right hand foreground?
    Grip Tight featherboards that I use primarily on the bandsaw. They are the yellow plastic versions. There's a thread in the classifieds (shop cleanout #2) that shows a couple of the original wood ones the manufacturer started with, although I doubt that thread will be there much longer) These have a magnetic base and you position them on the table so that the features and/or rollers contact the material and hold it against the fence.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Your router spins at a very high speed and creates some very high frequencies you can dampen the noise a bit by putting rubtex (it's a dense neoprene like material that is used for insulation)
    Since sound and vibration are linked applying a dense foam to the inside of the router table will dampen the noise a bit. You don't have to seal it up you just want to bounce the sound around in the dense foam.
    Think of it as playing a pin ball machine only with noise.