Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some new-to-me tools I picked up the other day

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan M Peters View Post
    This is interesting. Thanks for sharing. I was just looking back at the photos I took of the 5 1/2 earlier in this thread and noticed there's a crack in the iron! Not sure how I missed that. No biggie, but I'll need to get a new iron for it.
    If getting a new iron, just keep in mind that you need one that is 2-1/4” wide. Early Stanleys were also 2-1/4”, but they later switched to 2-3/8” which appears to be the more common size iron for a #5 1/2. It should be fairly easy to find one in the vintage market, but I only know of Ron Hock making them today.

The Union #5-1/2 I had.....had a 5-A cast onto the back deck...

At some point, Union changed where the pivot point for the lateral was....disc was either above, or below the pivot pin.
    Union Jumbo Jack.jpg
    Union No.5-A.jpg
    SDC12595.JPG
    SDC12603.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    If getting a new iron, just keep in mind that you need one that is 2-1/4” wide. Early Stanleys were also 2-1/4”, but they later switched to 2-3/8” which appears to be the more common size iron for a #5 1/2. It should be fairly easy to find one in the vintage market, but I only know of Ron Hock making them today.
    Yes! Thanks. I actually edited my post before seeing yours as sort of a self reminder.

EDIT: Heh! A 2 1/4" iron is harder to find than I thought! On eBay they're going for $45 - $85! And the Hock is on the lower end of that range too. For a plane that cost me $10, that's kind of a tough purchase to justify.
    Last edited by Jonathan M Peters; 02-13-2020 at 3:05 PM.

Grind a 1/16" off of each edge of a 2-3/8" wide iron...and go to work....

Drills in the til...
    Brace drills in the til.JPG
    See how many you can pick out( til is full, still have a few upstairs..)

Nice haul...Ya did good!!!
    Jerry

Jonathan, the unbranded 15" plane seems to be a size #5 1/2 plane, seems to be an early plane since the blade is 2 1/4" wide, They switched to 2 3/8" after 1939, I think. The shape of the front knob seems to be of the squat kind, those were used up until 1918. If it is an Stanley it will have its mark on the lateral adjustment lever. The frog also looks like an early one. Check out this web site, http://www.rexmill.com/planes101/typing/typing.htm, it'll help you date it it's an Stanley. Is the blade broken? I recently had to get one of the same size from Jim Bode at a good price.

Rafael