Thread: Sharpening - Dynamic in Buffalo NY ?

Sharpening - Dynamic in Buffalo NY ?

Choosing a sharpening service to USPS to...

Have accumulated a dozen 10" blades that need sharpening.

Advanced search archived posts consistently show Dynamic as one of the top 3 or so.

Thing is these posts are quite dated 5+ yrs ago.

So, Asking if Dynamic remains a good choice today.

Thank you all, Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post

Advanced search archived posts consistently show Dynamic as one of the top 3 or so.

Thank you all, Marc
    Dynamic Saw is local for me as I live about 25 miles from their shop. I've used them for about 10 years, not a lot, but several blades a year, and they always do an excellent job at very good prices. I've been in their cramped but top notch facility (on the inside that is) several times and watched the automatic sharpener do it's thing. Amazing German machinery. The most impressive thing, however, is how friendly and helpful everyone who works there is; not just the father and son duo that own the place, but everyone. And Dan the owner is a walking encyclopedia of sharpening technology and happy to discuss anything you might be interested in which for me, as an engineer, is often quite a lot. Anyway, I'm very happy with Dynamic Saw. Every blade they sharpen cuts at least as well as when it was new.

John

I used them once last year for a handful of high quality blades. I thought the service was great.

They sharpened my 20" blades perfectly and quickly. And as a happy surprise, when I got the blade backs, I found that they laser engraved them.Dynamic Saw.jpg

Yes, they laser engrave the blades with your name. This has led to some people not being too happy when they sent in a bunch of blades of mixed ownership. Unless you specify on each blade what should be engraved on it Dynamic will put the name of whoever is placing the order on all of them. And if you don't want engraving on them you best advise them of that, too.

John

Dynamic are great, totally recommend them. Some blades come back better than new.

Blog Entries
    I recently had the same question and research path as the OP, which also led me to Dynamic. I sent an email filled with absolutely newbie/stupid questions. Literally the next day Dan called me and chatted with me, told me my questions weren't that dumb (they totally were!), and now I'm in the process of getting a package of blades and router bits to send to him.

(side note... one of my questions was "Which blades are even worth sharpening?"... he said that many / most are worth it, but that if I were to ever send him something that really isn't worth it, he'll just let me know and skip the work on that one.. nice!)
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Sounding great.

Planning to send soon... USPS flat rate 12x12x6 box w cardboard layers

Think I'll wrap stack in paper and bundle tightly w duct tape so they don't slide around

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Sounding great.

Planning to send soon... USPS flat rate 12x12x6 box w cardboard layers

Think I'll wrap stack in paper and bundle tightly w duct tape so they don't slide around

Marc
    I would add a bolt thru stack, and a piece of plywood to keep blades from shifting. I've had them both sharpen blades, and repair (missing teeth). Only draw back, is on anti kick back, they ground the height limiting nubs off behind the teeth. Recently did a group order to them. Everybody was happy with results.

Here is shipping info from Dynamic's website:

"Please put your saw blades between layers of cardboard that are about an inch larger (on all sides) than the blade; Tape or staple the cardboard together securely so it pinches and locks the saw blades in position. Then take the blades sealed in cardboard and place them in a large enough cardboard box so they all fit when surrounded by crumbled newspaper or other packing material. Place a note in the box with your name, phone #, and complete return shipping address. Close box & seal."

I have used them twice, I don't get a whole lot of shop time these days. The first time I sent them a forrest blade that arrived with a unisaw that I purchased. Not knowing the history of the blade I packed yt with a well used Frued combo blade and sent it off. Got a call from dynamic on the Forrest, some chipped and missing teeth. They could replace them. Gave them the go-ahead, credit card number and about a week and a half later they arrived. Both cut beautifully. Very pleased. Second time was a few months ago. This time a Freud 8" stacked dado set. It was about 20 years old and while lightly used it was about time since I had a project coming up with a lot of box joints and dados. About two weeks later showed back up. Frankly, the finish cuts were cleaner than I remember seeing even when the set was new. Limited experience, but it's been all good.

I usually use Connecticut Saw but thought I would try Dynamic. One blade I sent was a Forrest Hi AT that was cutting poorly-one tooth was .010" out of line, not chipped but bent, and it tore out badly at the bottom of the cut. I'm not sure what they did, maybe side ground the one tooth, but it works as well as new now and with no additional charge. I'd use them again.

Thank you all, Marc
    This one was recommended to me by someone who knows tools and not just woodworking. Has his own water-jet, CNC milling, big lathe and even a wire EDM machine in his basement.
    https://www.burnstools.com/blade-sharpening#supersharp
    I haven't tried them yet but soon. I have a 12 inch blade to sharpen.

I have used Dynamic several times now and they have always done a Great job . The last blade sharpened there was a Forrest Woodworker II and it was as good as new after sharpening.