Thread: What is a Granite hone?

What is a Granite hone?

So I was looking on eBay and I found a product complete with a nice original box

Title: Norton Abrasives Granite Hone Whet Stone Sharpener

I assume that the intention is to HONE, not sharpen on the stone. I could find almost nothing about how to use this other than a single conversation on a forum that had almost no information.

My guess is that these used to be common and as Arkansas stones came into use, the Granite hones were no longer used, but, that is a complete guess based on almost nothing.

Blog Entries
    One that came up in my search had instructions:

granite Hone Instructions.jpg

It looks like it was made for polishing the edge of a straight razor.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

So it really is a "hone". Have you ever tried to use it to hone? I wonder why they are not used anymore... or are at least not common.

I've wondered about those,too. I don't look at razor forums much ,but I've never seen one mentioned there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I've wondered about those,too. I don't look at razor forums much ,but I've never seen one mentioned there.
    I have only ended up in the razor forums because they are nuts about making things really really sharp. I have not seen proof that they have a good handle one using granite as a hone.

I doubt it is made of granite.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I doubt it is made of granite.
    That did not occur to me.... Oh my

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    So it really is a "hone". Have you ever tried to use it to hone? I wonder why they are not used anymore... or are at least not common.
    The closest thing in my shop is labeled as a 'razor hone.' It is smoother than my black Arkansas stone. After reading the instructions for the granite hone it is understandable why it never did much for a chisel or plane iron.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think it's granite,pics sure look like it. The good hones have always been expensive. There are many of those cheap
    ceramic type hones. The granite ,I'm guessing , was sold as a burnisher thing to get a little help after ceramic, and before stropping. David Weaver said the Escher hones were expensive at 5 or 10 bucks, as that was often a weeks pay. So many
    things have been tried to make shaving easier besides the "granite "hone". It's possible some barbers bought them and made a
    small charge for a guy to use it in his establishment .

Does the razor tribe use these as a substrate for fine cutting powders? Granite doesn't reveal any sediment or coarse inclusions as it wears.

There are pieces of Italian marble still smooth as the day they were polished after millenia.

Blog Entries