Thread: Trotec Atmos Mono Plus issue

Trotec Atmos Mono Plus issue

Hi there,

I recently bought a Trotec Speedy 300 in combo with a Trotec Atmos Mono Plus system. The laser and Atmos are placed in a pretty small room, where only the laser is located.

About from the start I do notice a smell with everything I cut. Whether it's wood, plastics, cardboard,... It's like the Atmos is only filtering out smoke, but not the fumes and smell. (The active coal is there for that, right?)

Not a big deal, except the fact the whole house had a smell when I cut larger orders. But now I tried cutting Delrin (it's even in the JobControl list) and I'm having massive issues. I can't even stay in the room when it's cutting without a totally sealed mask + glasses. The fumes produced hit my throat, eyes and catches my breath. Not an extreme problem aswell, as I don't mind wearing protective gear. But now everytime the exhaust turns on the fumes come back, even when I'm not cutting. The residues in the filter give off fumes again as soon as air passes. But isn't the active coal supposed to take care of this? I thought that was the whole deal with an indoor exhaust...

It's not the first issue I'm having with Trotec in the few months I've had the system. Pretty dissapointing.

Do I contact Trotec or is this normal and am I supposed to buy a new filter now?

That would be really disappointing and non-functional is sounds. I could not imaging having to wear hazmat gear to operate our laser as we are in the middle of a 130 hour cut job...

I got a quote for the Atmos Duo for our recent purchase of a Speedy 400 and after I recovered from the sticker shock promptly designed my own system, which the tech who did our training said moves way more air. He also mentioned that the filters usually need to be changed monthly at something crazy like $400 per pop.

I would certainly contact Trotec support and your sales rep. I do not see how that could be normal as you have described it and you are in spec according to the data sheet.