Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade Air filter vs Jet

"Not sure what different configurations you are referring to though."

Like when you cut thin wood, thick wood non through cut, dado, maybe planing,

Thanks

I have a home built air filter I made about 20 years ago, and a generic commercial one (Woodtek maybe?) that I inherited from the old man. When I built the original one, I had the squirrel cage blower on hand. Given the effort to build one and the extra weight due to using 1/2" plywood vs thin sheet metal, I would probably buy one rather than build one. Not to mention the fact that the one I built doesn't have a nice, insurance-friendly UL sticker on it in the event that the shop catches fire. I probably will eventually replace the one that I built with a commercial one that has one of those cool timer features that runs it 10 minutes every hour.

I will say that having 2 air filter units in a 24x28 shop clears the air in a hurry.

I built my own, using a 1/2HP squirrel cage fan, three bag inner filter., and a high eff. outer filter. Best thing I ever did, is in colder months, added a thermostat mounted on ceiling over shop heater. Heat comes on, so does air filter, circulating heat over whole shop. During warmer months, I use a "Christmas Tree" remote to control fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Jean View Post

Thanks
    I am not sure that variable is relevant for evaluating an air filter performance. The amount of dust in the air not captured at the machine and how quickly it is removed by the air filter is what matters.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

For what it's worth, go for it! When I had my heat pump installed (it's an overhead unit hanging from the ceiling), I asked the HVAC guy if he could make a filter box for the same pocket filters that my Jet air filter uses. His sheet metal guy made one and they put it on the intake end of the heat pump. It was inexpensive -- they do that kind of special sheet-metal boxes, plenums, adapters, etc. all the time -- and uses exactly the same filters as my Jet. I don't have any quantitative information, but since the filters are the same and the amount of air moved is similar or more, it should be at least as good (ignoring positioning as a significant factor).

Quote Originally Posted by michael dilday View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Jean View Post

Thanks
    I am not sure that variable is relevant for evaluating an air filter performance. The amount of dust in the air not captured at the machine and how quickly it is removed by the air filter is what matters.
    Michael, perhaps he's thinking about the steady state condition where the rate of dust production is relatively constant for a longer period of time. The amount escaping the collection hood may vary with the operation type and thus the equilibrium concentration in the air will vary, depending upon the filter/fan performance, the source collection efficiency, and the particle size distribution of the dust.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Michael, perhaps he's thinking about the steady state condition where the rate of dust production is relatively constant for a longer period of time. The amount escaping the collection hood may vary with the operation type and thus the equilibrium concentration in the air will vary, depending upon the filter/fan performance, the source collection efficiency, and the particle size distribution of the dust.
    Doesn't Big Dust Theory show that the cosmic rate of dust generation is constantly accelerating disproving Steady State Dust Condition Theory?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Dixon View Post
    Doesn't Big Dust Theory show that the cosmic rate of dust generation is constantly accelerating disproving Steady State Dust Condition Theory?
    Your postulate is based on Quantum Dust and was superseded by Nano-String Dust Theory. Clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Your postulate is based on Quantum Dust and was superseded by Nano-String Dust Theory. Clearly.
    A Multi Dustverse... Fascinating!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Dixon View Post
    Sorry Tom. I tried to keep it simple by leaving out the math. Should I be more rigorous?
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Sorry Tom. I tried to keep it simple by leaving out the math. Should I be more rigorous?
    By all means yes. Just be sure to use millimeters and decimals. I've sworn of Imperialistic fractions.

My JDS 2000 has a 1" pleated filter on the inlet. Inside it has the bag filter. The bag is designed to maximize the amount of filter area. Then, a small motor and squirrel cage blower. It works well and would be easy to build, if you source your filters correctly. You could get a Dwyer manometer or digital to read static pressures at the inlet and outlet. Mark the original readings with a sharpie on the box. Check it periodically and you will know when it is time to replace the small pleat. The bag filter should last quite along time for a hobbyist. I carefully cleaned mine with a vacuum and air compressor, gently, over the years. A question for the group, what HP motor are you running on your boxes?