Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Air filter vs Jet

Homemade Air filter vs Jet

Is a Jet air filter better than making one myself?

Is there a big difference between the Jet 1000 & 2000?

Thanks.

I have the Jet 1000 and it is pretty much a pretty version of a HEPA filter strapped to a box fan. I’m sure you could accomplish the same thing, it just won’t look all fancy.

I'm pretty sure I saw one of the woodworking magazines publish a product test review last year, in which a box fan and filter came in third in performance amongst a large group of them. Maybe someone else saw that article and can confirm.

I have a Jet 1000 AFB and it is a great air filter. I use FPR 7 pre-filters from the big box stores and the inside filter is a Wynn filter with specs
    MERV 14 95% ASHRAE (99.6% at 5.0 microns, 92% at 1.0 microns, 79% at 0.5 microns). I would question whether a box fan could move enough air with a filter capable of .5 micron particles but I am no expert.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Quote Originally Posted by PHILIP MACHIN View Post
    I have the Jet 1000 and it is pretty much a pretty version of a HEPA filter strapped to a box fan. I’m sure you could accomplish the same thing, it just won’t look all fancy.
    I have the Jet, too. I believe it is a squirrel cage fan. I think that makes a difference, but am not versed enough in the technology to know how much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    I have the Jet, too. I believe it is a squirrel cage fan. I think that makes a difference, but am not versed enough in the technology to know how much.
    For equivalent air flow, a squirrel cage fan is significantly quieter than a axial fan (typical of 'box' fans). As I understand it, this is why squirrel cage dominates in HVAC designs - they don't keep you up at night.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michael dilday View Post
    I have a Jet 1000 AFB and it is a great air filter. I use FPR 7 pre-filters from the big box stores and the inside filter is a Wynn filter with specs
    MERV 14 95% ASHRAE (99.6% at 5.0 microns, 92% at 1.0 microns, 79% at 0.5 microns). I would question whether a box fan could move enough air with a filter capable of .5 micron particles but I am no expert.
    Those filter specs are a little frightening. After leaving the filter running for 1/2 hour or so would leave one with the impression that the air is clean. But all that sub-micron (the most dangerous particles) stuff is just being stirred around & kept suspended by the thing that's supposed to filter it.

Dust collection/filtering should do one or both of two things: 1) crude collection that keeps the work space cleaner, 2) filters out the harmful particles. A ceiling hung filter unit should do the latter, but that Wynn filter does neither.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    For equivalent air flow, a squirrel cage fan is significantly quieter than a axial fan (typical of 'box' fans). As I understand it, this is why squirrel cage dominates in HVAC designs - they don't keep you up at night.
    The main reason for the squirrel cage fan is that they develop higher static pressure, which is needed to pass the air through the filter.

What filter is best?

A lot of the store bought filters have remotes, which is really nice when it's hung up high. Personally I build a box with a HVAC blower, and ran a switch to it, but some people might not feel comfortable with that approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Those filter specs are a little frightening. After leaving the filter running for 1/2 hour or so would leave one with the impression that the air is clean. But all that sub-micron (the most dangerous particles) stuff is just being stirred around & kept suspended by the thing that's supposed to filter it.

Dust collection/filtering should do one or both of two things: 1) crude collection that keeps the work space cleaner, 2) filters out the harmful particles. A ceiling hung filter unit should do the latter, but that Wynn filter does neither.
    I have a Dylos air quality meter. It measures small particles down to .3 microns. Believe me with the Wynn filter the air is clean.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Micheal,

Can you post some of the reading you get from your Dylos in different configurations?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I'm pretty sure I saw one of the woodworking magazines publish a product test review last year, in which a box fan and filter came in third in performance amongst a large group of them. Maybe someone else saw that article and can confirm.
    Wood Magazine published a review last summer. The two Jet units were both awarded "Top Tool." The box fan was awarded "Best Value." The box fan setup, using a MERV 12 filter, came in 4th overall, in terms of how quickly it cleared the air in a "test shop." It took about 5 times as long as the Jet units (61 minutes vs. 13). There were seven other products in the comparison - a couple of Grizzlies, a couple of Powermatics, a Rikon, a Shop Fox and a Supermax.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Jean View Post
    Micheal,

Can you post some of the reading you get from your Dylos in different configurations?
    I can post a reading from the Dylos. Not sure what different configurations you are referring to though.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    The main reason for the squirrel cage fan is that they develop higher static pressure, which is needed to pass the air through the filter.
    What Frank said.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.