Thread: Saddle The Seat Blank

Saddle The Seat Blank

I've had a couple of minutes and the energy to do something other than sharpen stuff this morning. Some was spent putting things away but I also had a little time to spend on the chair seat. The seat is Red Oak so saddling may take some time. Starting with an Aze to get to depth, then scorp to smooth some and finally Travisher and card scraper to finish. This first part is mostly scut work and this OF's arm can only go so long at one time. There will be progress but it will be slow. The good news is I do not plan a deep saddle but I also want to thin the seat's look so the bad is there may be a lot of work with a plane to go.

saddleSeat.jpg

The legs are close to ready, once the seat blank is ready the chair should go together quickly. I hope so it has been hanging around the shop much too long.

ken

What kind of adze do you use?
    TW

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    What kind of adze do you use?
    TW
    Thomas,

It is from Narex.

ken

Good start. I’ll be watching progress. I hope the health stuff settles out for you quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Good start. I’ll be watching progress. I hope the health stuff settles out for you quickly.

Thanks James,

I'm finished with the Adz and the scorp, next up is the travsher.

ken

Ken, it sounds like you have been making good progress. It always seems like nibbling away at stuff takes a long time, so you are doing well. Hope to see a photo or two.

Regards,

Stew

Thanks Stew. It is slow but some progress is made between work and MsBubba's requests.

The seat saddling is getting close, I've almost finished with the travisher. Card scrappers next.

saddleSeatGettingClose.jpg

I've found two different forms of travisher available, one with horns and one without.

twoTravshers.jpg

Of the two, the one on the right without horns gives better control and I use it for travisher finish work. The horned travisher in my hands is better for the roughing out. Of course YMMV.

BTW, I have not posted this in awhile, click 'em to big 'em.

ken

I use a chairmaker's plane for hollowing out a seat and finish with sandpaper. I haven't had a travisher to try for these applications.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I use a chairmaker's plane for hollowing out a seat and finish with sandpaper. I haven't had a travisher to try for these applications.

Mike
    Mike,

I have not used a wood compass plane but I expect they are not too different from a Travisher. Whatever something has to give a concave bottom.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Mike,

I have not used a wood compass plane but I expect they are not too different from a Travisher. Whatever something has to give a concave bottom.

ken
    A chairmaker's plane is curved front to back, like a compass plane, but also side to side. The commercial one I have is brass but I also made a wooden one.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Ken, some while back I did do a pictorial on saddling a seat and morticing with a brace. It is not on my website.

The point is that I used a scorp, a pull shave and travisher. I also smoothed with shoemaker spokeshaves, which come in different radii, and which I modified (removed the arms).

I can also put together an article on building a travisher - as posted earlier, and different from the ones you have - but did not wish to do so since the design is not mine. I can post a few photos if anyone needs help with theirs.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Ken, some while back I did do a pictorial on saddling a seat and morticing with a brace. It is not on my website.

The point is that I used a scorp, a pull shave and travisher. I also smoothed with shoemaker spokeshaves, which come in different radii, and which I modified (removed the arms).

I can also put together an article on building a travisher - as posted earlier, and different from the ones you have - but did not wish to do so since the design is not mine. I can post a few photos if anyone needs help with theirs.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek,

Yes, please post photos of the travisher. I'm new the the chair making game and always on the lookout for things that make it easier.

ken

Looks good. I may have to get or make a travisher just to try it. I’ve only done a couple of seats. Used a gouge, curved spoke shave and card scrapers. I’m following to learn something. I may do more someday.