Thread: Differences between Dewalt DW780 and DW779 12” sliding miter saws?

Differences between Dewalt DW780 and DW779 12” sliding miter saws?

I am looking to pick up a new 12” sliding miter saw for on site work and was wondering if anyone knows the actual differences between these two models? I know that the DW779 does not come with a laser. That is the most stated difference but I have read other post saying that there is more to it than that but no one has mentioned exactly what is different. I have read snippets of post that say the DW779 is built with different, inferior parts versus its outward twin the DW780. Can anyone confirm this?

The DW780 retails for $599 and the DW779 retails for around $350. I would love to save the money but I would personally prefer the model with the best internal parts and accuracy. I am not at all concerned about having a laser. If need be I could always buy one separate.

Anyone care to share what if any differences there are between the DW779 and DW780?

Looks like you are correct and it is identical except for the laser. The laser is pretty useful though.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

I have the DW779 for the same reason you are considering. Never used a laser. I wanted the saw, if the laser was an option would you value it at $250? I didn't, I would repeat.

I have the DWS780, and to be clear, the DWS780 has a bright LED, not a LASER. The LED casts a crisp shadow along both sides of the blade onto the board so there is no doubt where the cut will be. I would have bought the DWS779 if it had been available, but none of the distributors had it in stock. The store where I bought my DWS780 offered free shipping and included the portable stand.

I think most of the online comparisons will lead the reader to believe both saws are identical except for the LED, but a parts comparison on the DeWalt Servicenet site will show there are significant differences on major components of each saw. As to which is better, let the buyer decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    I have the DWS780, and to be clear, the DWS780 has a bright LED, not a LASER. The LED casts a crisp shadow along both sides of the blade onto the board so there is no doubt where the cut will be. I would have bought the DWS779 if it had been available, but none of the distributors had it in stock. The store where I bought my DWS780 offered free shipping and included the portable stand.

I think most of the online comparisons will lead the reader to believe both saws are identical except for the LED, but a parts comparison on the DeWalt Servicenet site will show there are significant differences on major components of each saw. As to which is better, let the buyer decide.
    I have the 780, like Mike said it’s a bright LED that shows the shadow of the blade. It is very effective in my opinion.

Be patient and wait for a sale, Dewalt gives the 2-300$ miter stand away with the 780 for free a couple times a year. To be honest I might like the stand more than the saw itself!

After some additional research since starting this thread I have discovered as some mentioned above the DW779 is indeed different on the insides compared to the DW780. I am sending Dewalt an email to see if they can confirm and tell me the exact differences. From all that I have gathered the DW779 is made with less heavy duty parts. The armature and bearings seem to be the biggest difference. Some have reported that the guide rails on the DW779 are easier to deflect on a sliding cut compared to the DW780. I have read that stated from multiple people. I will post Dewalt’s response as soon as I hear back from them.

Ok here's the short and long of it. The dws779 and dws780 are the same saw minus the led light. I bought the dws779 because t was stupid cheap for that saw. I was online and looked up upgrades for it. There is a company MMtoolparts.com, that sells a conversion https://www.mmtoolparts.com/store/mi...ade-kit-dewalt for the dws779 to add the led light for $70. It installs in under an hour with basic hand tools. They have a video on their site in which the guy does it in like 15 mins with a impact driver. You will need assorted Torxs screwdrivers or bits, side cutters and a wire crimping tool, it took me about 30-45 mins with kids coming to see what i was doing. Also the rear dust guard on my 779 was plastic and exploded due to a short off cut, it is now metal which I think they have upgraded to that's on the 780. So you can have a $600 saw for much less.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Yeaglin View Post
    Ok here's the short and long of it. The dws779 and dws780 are the same saw minus the led light.
    This is simply not true. As I stated above, they look similar, but a comparison of the parts list will show lots of differences. If they were the same, except for the LED, then the part numbers for the internal components would be identical and they would weigh nearly the same (the DWS779 is heavier). I would like to check the parts list from mmtoolparts, but Germany is blocked from accessing their website.
    Last edited by Mike Kreinhop; 02-16-2020 at 7:12 AM. Reason: typo

I bought the DW779 for $329 on sale and the LED for light kit for about $50. I have only had it for 9 months or so but I like it. It is accurate enough for me and I am far from one of those "good enough for who it is for" type of people.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Have questions about this saw, what size vac hose can be attached in place of the bag, and how accurate are the 90 degree cut and the 45 degree cuts? And how well does your vac collect the sawdust? My old Makita is pretty accurate, but the 1 1/2" vac hose connection is too small.

It seems accurate. I make cabinets and haven’t noticed any issues. I have checked it a few times and it is always on. I put a 1-1/2 elbow on the vacuum tube. The issue is the rubber flap where the dust is suppose to be sucked in collapses when the vacuum filter is clean. As the filter plugs, it doesn’t collapse but there is less air movement. I have a few ideas to fix this problem but haven’t tried anything yet. I just built a new miter saw station and was hoping not to have “hood” but it seems inevitable.

Dan Coker and others - Did anyone conclusively find out what the differences are between 779 and 780 besides light ?

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me