Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Easing corners on furniture

Easing corners on furniture

I bought a Woodriver corner easing plane from woodcraft. It is a really nifty small plane that looks like it would be great and when it works it does a great job however... It keeps splitting the wood. It seems like if I go against the angle of the grain it is worse but even if i favor the grain it still cuts the corner off randomly. I have tried taking small bites multiple passes and still have an issue. It is so bad that I cannot get hardly a single corner eased over without at least one or two issues. I have been gluing them down and continuing to try it but now I am about to give up on it. Does anyone use anything like this with success? Any other ideas for easing corners? In the past I have just used sandpaper with pretty good success but was looking for a better solution. Woodpeckers had a nice looking one time tool corner easing plane but I just couldn't justify the $500 price tag for the set.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...r-easing-plane
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

You've over complicated things. A hard sanding block with a fine grit paper is the best tool for breaking sharp corners. Not everything calls for a special gadget. I usually just glue 180 or 220 grit paper to any old scrap of wood call it a day. Sometimes, if I need a softer corner, I use an old ROS pad. I never use a sponge or handheld paper because it always leaves scratches on the adjoining surfaces.

2nd the sandpaper I use 180 on a preppin weapon and it works great.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

OK you got me - what is a preppin weapon?
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Thanks guys. I am thinking sandpaper too.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Is a round over bit a possibility? Otherwise, I almost always use a block plane

Best sandpaper holder I've found.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=preppin+w...l_386067rkrv_e
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Like others have said, sandpaper works well. However, a small hand plane will work also, depending how much working room you have. A few years ago I bought the Lie-Nielsen No. 101 Violin Maker's Plane. It's a tiny plane of the block plane type. It's weight is just right for this work since it's made out of bronze. With its blade set to just trim a little of you can round over a corner ever so slightly with a few passes at slightly different angles. You do, of course, need to watch grain direction. Even a tiny plane with a fine cut will pull up fibers against the grain.

I looked at the Wood River corner easing plane. Your lack of success with it might just be that it is a cheaply made solution for this work. Some of Wood River's tools are actually very good, but others aren't. I have a Wood River block plane and spokeshave, both great tools, but they were more expensive than their basic planes, but still cheaper than Lie-Nielsen or Veritas. A block plane would work also, but standard size are a little cumbersome for this task.

Sandpaper here too. I do sometimes use the rubber profile sanding forms like these:

94FEF66C-78E2-43F6-99E9-DBFACAEF6DA7.jpg

I think a rounder bit would be too aggressive. I only want 1/32 or maybe even less.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Nice Bill.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michael dilday View Post
    I can't speak for the Woodriver corner plane, It looks like it would be difficult to sharpen and adjust the depth of cut. I frequently use a home made chamfer plane to ease corners on pieces of wood. This little plane does and excellent job. It was made from plans from Wood Magazine a number of years ago. I also use my Veritas apron plane to dod the same thing, though any small block plane would do the same job.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by michael dilday View Post
    I think a rounder bit would be too aggressive. I only want 1/32 or maybe even less.
    I generally plane, drawfile, and/or sand, depending on how hard the wood is and how much I want to break the edge.

I have used this one for over 40 years, it works as long as I watch the grain.
    As in anything it may not be for you
    I am happy with it over 90% of the time
    good luck
    Ron

https://www.rockler.com/carbide-tipped-radius-plane

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post

+1. I just grab one when they were on sale here and there and now have a half a dozen. Your corner easing will depend on material, scale of the piece and so forth. For fine work when I want the eased edge to be finish ready I do use a small plane. It is however, one that can be sharpened so that it does the job reliably. I'm not sure I see how the Woodriver product gets sharpened.

Kit-Hut-(189).jpg

For a different take on the 'Slick Plane' , I spent more time trying to make it work than I would have spent doing the easing another way. I felt like the concept was good and it really ought to work. We never saw eye to eye ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-10-2020 at 10:12 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler