Thread: 3/4" Baltic Birch Plywood work for Stile and Rail Cabinet Doors?

3/4" Baltic Birch Plywood work for Stile and Rail Cabinet Doors?

Would it work to use 3/4" baltic birch to make the stiles and rails for cabinet doors (for painting white as a final finish), with inset 1/4" plywood panels?

Blog Entries
    Yes, but it will take some work to prep the edges for a good paint job.

Agree with Frank. I would use a light weight mdf like Trupan. Nothing is gained by extravagant materials for kitchen
    cabinets. It's like making a fine dog house, the next dog thinks it smells funny and won't live in it.

Yes, it will work, but it's more work to seal all the edges so the layers don't telegraph through the paint than it's worth IMO. Better to use soft maple or poplar for paint grade work. Kitchens get replaced every 20 years or so. That's still a long time.

John

Thank you, all, for your replies. John, I will look for some poplar or maple, as you suggest.

If the solid lumber isn’t flat and straight, you can plane and thickness it to make right. If the 3/4 Baltic birch isn’t right, there’s little you can do to fix it.

Maybe if you could find the higher grade stuff from Finland, wouldn’t attempt it otherwise. Soft maple with an MDF panel would be a better choice.

Thank you, Peter, and others, for your suggestions. Maple is harder to find in this area, but alder and poplar are more readily available. I suppose these are OK for paint grade doors.

Barry

Blog Entries
    Unless you can get a perfect fit with minimum top,bottom sanding I would not...

Baltic birch plywood can and does warp, especially if it is unrestrained. Even though it has a lot of plys, they are still made of a relatively unstable wood, birch. Using it for rails and stiles may give you problems. It should be fine for the panel though. Solid poplar would be a better choice for the rails and stiles.

There is no harm in considering material like BB for doors like this...as long as you actually desire to feature the look that the end grain of the materials shows, such as for a modernistic, industrial style that's clear coated. But for painted, I agree with the others that there are better choices for material because hiding the edges is a difficult chore.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I built some speakers out of BB & then painted them white with rattle cans. The primer was a high build sandable type. The edges were filled & sanded before priming, then spot putty used between each coat of paint. There are 4 coats, plus the primer, and still if the light is at just the right angle, I can make out the edge grain of the plywood. I called it good though, because they are ceiling mounted & the edge can't be seen without getting on a ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Baltic birch plywood can and does warp, especially if it is unrestrained. Even though it has a lot of plys, they are still made of a relatively unstable wood, birch. Using it for rails and stiles may give you problems. It should be fine for the panel though. Solid poplar would be a better choice for the rails and stiles.
    Baltic birch plywood, by definition, is more stable than any poplar. I think plywood is, for other reasons, a poor choice here, but not for lack of stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Nothing is gained by extravagant materials for kitchen
    cabinets. It's like making a fine dog house, the next dog thinks it smells funny and won't live in it
    So true, and so damn sad.
    A friend had his kitchen remodeled many years ago and the cabinets he took out were solid, matched, q-sawn, cherry from the 50's. Just beautiful cabinets. Every door and drawer was a perfect color match in tone and grain.
    The quality level between what he took out, and what he put in was dramatic.

To the OP

If you're making quick, knock together cabinets, for storage, 3/4" Ply will work, but the prep work on the edges to get them ready for painting is not insignificant if you're concerned about the visual.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 03-15-2020 at 8:12 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)