Thread: Another Magazine Bites the Dust

Thumbs down Another Magazine Bites the Dust

My husband is a motorcycle enthusist (8 in his stable, at the moment) and we just saw where Motorcycle Consumer News closed up shop. It was a no advertising, supported by subscriptions format, but apparently they could not make it work anymore. It was the only motorcycle magazine he still subscribed too, as the others were biased in the bike reviews and too glossy, no substance. I'm feeling a little abused by them at the moment, as we just renewed for 2 more years a couple of months ago.

That's too bad. It seems to be the way things are going though.
    Bummer on your renewal. I've been abused by magazine publishers myself a couple times. I hope you get something back - money or another (less desirable) subscription - instead of being totally out of luck.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I just got my latest issue of Hot Rod Mag, and the editorial mentioned that their publisher closed the majority of their print magazines this year, the latest being Car Craft Mag.

A lot of the publishers production people lost jobs.

Now that WoodSmith has a new publisher a year or so ago, I hope they make it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

It's pretty much everywhere, that's why I'm listed as a contributor here. And in truth, SMC is doing more for me than FWW and PW did over the last decade.

I thought Popular Woodworking had gone bust too, but then I saw a current issue for sale on the stands this week.

One magazine I really liked, felt it had honest reviews, etc, went defunct back in 1985, a few months after my renewal money was sent in. When I heard that the magazine went under because they were sued over a review, I was no longer upset about the money, I was more upset that a POS product financially broke the publisher with litigation costs and attorney's fees. Word got out in the industry's customers, and a boycott put the manufacturer out of business. Over the last few decades, some magazine's I liked folded for various reasons.

Magazines have a tough row lately. Almost anything that can be put in an article is already available on-line. Why pay for what you can get for free? Almost any how to article can be done better in a video on You Tube.

Blog Entries
    Popular Woodworking is back, but it is a shadow of it's self.

That's a bummer, that waste of the better motorcycle magazines. I've got 7 bikes in the garage, but due to health issues, haven't ridden any of them in a couple years.

I had subscribed to woodturning illustrated for a while. It seemed there was always at least one article every month that appealed to me. I sent in a check for a two month renewal. I think as soon as they got my check it folded. I didn’t like that