Thread: Dust collector upgrade question

Dust collector upgrade question

I built a Wood Magazine cyclone years ago using a Penn State DC-3 850cfm blower and 4” PVC pipe for a small garage shop. I recently moved and changed out the PVC to 6” metal ducting. It works ok, but airflow could be better. I was thinking of upgrading the blower to a Penn State DC-2 1100cfm blower that I found for a good price, but the cyclone is built with a 5” internal pipe (that mates with the blower intake). Changing that pipe would be too difficult, and the DC-2 has a 6” intake. Would I get a reasonable increase in airflow using the DC-2 and reducing the intake to 5”? I know it is not ideal, but I’m on a budget and don’t want to rebuild everything.

Looking only at impeller size you might expect about a 20% increase. The larger inlet and outlet sizes of the DC-2 could make it somewhat more than that.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.