Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust masks in short supply?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Does a hepa filter stop corona virus? I have one of those belt worn supplied helmet types. I am pretty sure it is hepa.
    Viruses don't fly thru the air with the greatest of ease, they get carried on droplets (just like a trapeze.) So any mask that blocks droplets or mist should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Viruses don't fly thru the air with the greatest of ease, they get carried on droplets (just like a trapeze.) So any mask that blocks droplets or mist should do the trick.
    Well, only if worn by those already sick. You'd be surprised how many times you subconsciously touch your face throughout the day.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Well, only if worn by those already sick. You'd be surprised how many times you subconsciously touch your face throughout the day.
    It's a 2-way street. In the Great Influenza Epidemic of 1919-20, they proved that a primary means of transmission was to have a sick person cough or sneeze in the direction of a well person. The well person would then get sick. The airborne droplets carried it. With the coronavirus (which has nothing to do with beer, even though a trending google search a while ago was "corona beer virus") you don't know you're sick for a week or more, during which time you're a carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    It's a 2-way street. In the Great Influenza Epidemic of 1919-20, they proved that a primary means of transmission was to have a sick person cough or sneeze in the direction of a well person. The well person would then get sick. The airborne droplets carried it. With the coronavirus (which has nothing to do with beer, even though a trending google search a while ago was "corona beer virus") you don't know you're sick for a week or more, during which time you're a carrier.
    Yep, but it's still much better than KNOWING you're sick and continuing to cough and sneeze all over everything without regard to those around you.

FWIW, since it's also been mentioned.. I was buying dust mask because we're doing a lot of work that includes digging. So those masks were bought primarily to reduce exposure to fungal spores (valley fever really isn't pleasant).
    Last edited by mike stenson; 02-17-2020 at 2:46 PM.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut