Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust masks in short supply?

Dust masks in short supply?

I had my teeth cleaned last week and got to talking with the hygienist. She said they had to buy more of those disposable dust masks they wear. They could not buy the normal amount they normally buy. They had to buy almost a pallet full.
    I hear 3m stock is going up with the corona virus since they make the masks and the disposable gowns for health care. I also heard I-phone production is down in china as the factory switched to mask production.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Humans are a silly lot. All this despite empirical data that tells us masks are not the answer
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My Lowe's was all out of dust masks yesterday.

If the masks are in short supply, it seems odd that the dentist could buy almost a pallet full - I'd expect that they would not be able to get all that they wanted/needed.

3M stock rose last week (except for Friday), but mostly just mirrored the broader market. Since the first of this year, 3M stock has substantially under-performed relative to the S&P 500. While the S&P is right near an all-time record high, 3M is down about 10% since January 1.

I heard part of a news report of 9000 to 10000 people waiting in line to buy masks. I didn’t catch where.

Modesto silly..

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I heard part of a news report of 9000 to 10000 people waiting in line to buy masks. I didn’t catch where.

I was lucky to be able to buy some almost two weeks ago. All that was left then was 2 three-packs

Sounds like the read and milk syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Humans are a silly lot. All this despite empirical data that tells us masks are not the answer
    Exactly, if you have the virus, wear a mask.

If you don’t, wash your hands frequently and don’t wear a mask.

Us civilians don’t know how to fit or use a mask......Rod

Just makes a good excuse to buy a real respirator.

Does a hepa filter stop corona virus? I have one of those belt worn supplied helmet types. I am pretty sure it is hepa.
    Bil lD.

I read one where the America members of a Chinese family were buying Chinese made masks in America and shipping them back to family members living in China. My wife is in a travel club of gals. I always teased her about Norovirus and stomach distress spreading on cruises, this one sure takes that up a notch.

Am waiting to see someone on the local bus wearing the trend airshield...

(I would think the mask would still help a bit, but just like dust... best to capture at the source)

Matt

It turns out that masks are pretty effective at reducing disease transmission, but not for the reasons that people tend to think. The primary effect is that they keep you from putting your hands in your mouth, interrupting a primary infection route. For the rare airborne virus (Covid-19 transmits poorly, if at all, by aerosol, as far as I've heard), a properly fitted mask can be useful, but the hand-to-mouth/nose/eyes route is way more common, and easily blocked by any sort of mask, so no worries about proper fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Am waiting to see someone on the local bus wearing the trend airshield...

(I would think the mask would still help a bit, but just like dust... best to capture at the source)

Matt
    That’s why you should wear a mask when you are sick.