Thread: Danish Oil Over Walnut Oil/Wax

Danish Oil Over Walnut Oil/Wax

I finished a decorative platter with Doctor's Walnut Oil/Wax mix. I'd like to get some additional sheen on it. Will a danish oil or WOP adhere/bond to the oil/wax mix that's already been applied? Thanks.

Never tried that but I’ve used deft spray lacquer over oil finishes with success.
    tom

A coat of dewaxed shellac might help with adhesion of the next finish. But the shellac max not be tightly bound to the oil-wax coating, and might be subject to chipping in most cases - may not be a consideration for a decorative platter. After the oil-wax has sufficient time to cure/harden, you could also first scrub the surface with a clean paper towel wetted with naptha or other solvent to try to remove the wax, but I would suggest first trying this on a scrap piece.

The word wax would indicate to me that nothing will stick on it. But no idea what Doctor's walnut oil/wax is.

Richard:
    Doctor's is the Brand. It's a mix of walnut oil, and "microaggregated carnuba wax particles". The mix is applied like any other oil finish - wet the piece with oil and let it soak in. Then complete the application in a manner similar to friction polish; with the lathe running at a relatively high rpm, apply a paper towel to create friction so the wax heats up and melts into the wood.

Based on my experience, if you start with a dewaxed shellaq, you can put just about any finish you want on it. However, if you start with with an oil/wax finish, that is what you will need to stay with for good results. Suggest that you investigate Tried and True boiled linseed oil products. They make a varnish oil with natural resins that will buff up nice and glossy once cured. BTW, it is not found in big box stores, but can be had in Woodcraft, Rockler, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    I finished a decorative platter with Doctor's Walnut Oil/Wax mix. I'd like to get some additional sheen on it. Will a danish oil or WOP adhere/bond to the oil/wax mix that's already been applied? Thanks.
    Yes you can apply Danish Oil over Doctors Oil/Wax because I have. Works fine, no problems. The wax in Doctors "doesn't know it's wax" according to the Doctor because the wax particles are so small. You might have to put on several coats to get the sheen you want.

I try and not be in this situation because it's not ideal. It's much better to apply Danish oil or WOP on bare wood (as you probably know). The resulting look over Doctors oil doesn't look quite the same, but it can be done. I haven't tried it with a coat of shellac in between them but it might work.

Pat:
    Thanks for letting me of your first hand experience.