Thread: Crosscut on Jobsite Saw

Crosscut on Jobsite Saw

Due to space shortage I use a Bosch jobsite table saw which is a nice tool for what it is but of course a small table surface that presents limitations for cross cutting. Only 8-1/2 inches of slot in front of blade. Obviously cross cutting is a problem for anything more than 2 inches wide.

I am considering the Incra Miter Express sled to go with my 1000HD miter gauge. Claims 24 width but pretty sure I won't get that much. Getting around 12" or more of xcutting wold be great. Larger widths I can use other tools/techniques.

Would the Miter Express help or should I make a purpose built sled?

I welcome your opinions and thoughts and thanks

I rarely use my contractor saw for crosscuts for the reasons you’ve stated. But, I did make a dedicated in-feed table with a miter slot that I can align and clamp to the saw on the rare occasion I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I rarely use my contractor saw for crosscuts for the reasons you’ve stated. But, I did make a dedicated in-feed table with a miter slot that I can align and clamp to the saw on the rare occasion I need it.
    Do you have a photo of your infeed table? That is an idea that did cross my mind but haven't figured how to make it easy to assemble.

Blog Entries
    Not a Festool fan, but that Festool crosscut saw looks like it would do the job. A mini track saw. But at $590, not in the cards for most.
    NOW you tell me...

John, trust me, it’s nothing special...pine, MDF, glue and nails with slots aligned with the saw and height adjusted to saw height. I use it so infrequently (both the saw and the table) that I don’t have a stand. I do it all just sitting on the floor. I should take the time to modify it a bit because once it’s clamped to the saw, it’s not the easiest to get to the saw’s on/off switch, but then again, I might use it once a year. I did put in two slots so I can use my crosscut sled. Your needs may be very different.

59322B6E-38B1-4FCB-ADCB-BEA976F2E9D3.jpg

Doesn't take a very big chop saw to crosscut 12", and it's a far better tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Doesn't take a very big chop saw to crosscut 12", and it's a far better tool for the job.
    True and I have a 12" chop saw but it won't do dado's and other precise depth cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Not a Festool fan, but that Festool crosscut saw looks like it would do the job. A mini track saw. But at $590, not in the cards for most.
    I do have a Kreg track saw but it won't do dado's and other precision depth cuts accross the board.
    And, yes, I can set up a guide and plunge route but having the abilty to do that on the table saw would be a big time saver not mention all the bench space with another tool to set up.

Blog Entries
    No one tool is a fits all.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Good to know we think alike!

I have a similar one on my saw that uses a shop made cam to hold it in place.