Thread: Felder KF700 dust collection ports

Felder KF700 dust collection ports

I'm trying to figure out my ducting for a probable KF700 purchase. It would be great with some insight of the usage of the dust ports.

There are 4 ports on the saw:
    1. Saw blade under side, 120mm
    2. Saw blade overhead guard (maybe 80mm?)
    3. Shaper fence, 120mm
    4. Shaper under side, 80mm

I'm trying to plan the placement and combination of blast gates. How do people switch between saw and shaper in terms of dust collection?

Possible scenario 1:
    - Use only one 120mm and one 80mm hose. Move these hoses between saw and shaper ports when needed

Possible scenario 2:
    - Have all ports connected and switch between saw/shaper with blast gates

Thanks
    //Michael

I vote for switching the 120mm hose only.

Keep both 80mm connected, use a blast gate for them, they’re the only hoses that aren’t always at floor level.

I also use a Felder right angle connector for the 120mm hose as it’s most convenient for the shaper hood, also use polyurethane hose not PVC for the increased flexibility.....Rod

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sageryd View Post
    I'm trying to figure out my ducting for a probable KF700 purchase. It would be great with some insight of the usage of the dust ports.

3. Shaper fence, 120mm

I'm trying to plan the placement and combination of blast gates. How do people switch between saw and shaper in terms of dust collection?

Possible scenario 1:
    - Use only one 120mm and one 80mm hose. Move these hoses between saw and shaper ports when needed

Possible scenario 2:

Thanks
    //Michael
    The shaper fence is only on the table when you are using the shaper -- the saw becomes unusable at that point. So, I'd have one hose for the saw and shaper fence. The overhead guard does not have enough suction with just an 80mm hose -- join the FOG (Felder Owners Group) for more information. The shaper cabinet is 100 mm, I believe. If the unit will be stationary, then it is relatively easy to have a dedicated connection to it.

Mike

@Mike. I have now joined FOG. I did a search for "overhead guard" and got lot's of hits. I didn't find anything about hose size, though. Do you have a link or maybe some keyword suggestions for a search?

personally i would have the saw blade and the overhead on one wye ad the shaper on the other, switching would drive me nuts bit i am already half nuts so...

For the saw blade 5” and the overhead I took off the factory adapter and used 4”, I was able to manipulate the hose to fit around the rectangular opening satisfactorily i might have a sheet metal shop fab up a fitting or one can be made from a pvc fitting using a heat gun. If you use a wye to connect the 5” and the 4” you need at least 6” port from that to get the max out of the overhead guard as you are limited by the opening in the guard (can’t remember the sqin) I was able to measure about 225 cfm from inside the guard right below the opening. Before the 6” branch i was wye’ing into a 5” fitting and it was about 125cfm, i can’t remember the velocity but in both cases it was too low but much improved, it’s preferred to have 4k FPM in the branches. Gate above the wye in the 6”. My dust collector is a 2.5hp with 14” impeller

I am going to redoing my ducting to 7” for the main and branches so it will be in to see if any cfm and velocity will be gained.

E9CECE21-05A9-49E7-87A4-58B27FBF8033.jpg5DF203BD-6EA6-4AB7-A6C3-62378CF9F6A2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sageryd View Post

3. Shaper fence, 120mm

Possible scenario 1:

Possible scenario 2:

Thanks
    //Michael

Blog Entries
    Here's one for the K975, but similar posts can be found for the k700.

https://groups.io/g/felderownersgrou...0,2,0,69352915

There are 2 80mm and 2 120mm ports for a KF700. I swap mine around when I switch over. Like Rod I use a right angle for the 120mm ports, that works great. Having all that extra tubing for 4 ports to me would be more of a PITA than switching connectors. Like mentioned above, when the shaper hood is on the machine you are not sawing. Also if you plan on adding a power feeder with a big lift the bracket covers the 80mm lower shaper port so its only usable when the feeder is in the upright position.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Blog Entries
    This thread may be npoint as well https://groups.io/g/felderownersgroup/message/101693