Thread: Lee valley chisel question

Lee valley chisel question

Hi folks. Making a simple walnut (first time working with walnut, excited) chisel rack, and was using one of my 1/2 inch chisels, it's the "bevel edged bench chisel by lee valley with that transparent green/yellow handle, with black collar that's made in Japan. here's the link.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...l-edge-chisels

My issue is that I really, REALLY don't care for the handle. I can't see a tang in it, and i'm only guessing that it has a socket. does anyone know if I can cut the handle off, remove it etc and be able to re handle these? or if they're just set in this weird composite handle that I shouldn't play with?

PS: For affordable chisels, the steel in these LV chisels kick my narex's all over the place. little heavier feeling, but for literally less than 5$ difference, LV over Narex. takes and holds a better edge 2:1

Thanks folks!

Lee Valley customer service can probably answer this question for you if you email them. They have a really good reputation for that.

Google “replacing chisel handle popular woodworking.” You should find an article from Popular Woodworking where the author shows the removal of those Lee Valley chisel handles.

Get a couple of these....and experiment with their handles...
    chisel rack.JPG

Those are my everyday chisels as well. I am slowly buying LV PMV11 as replacements. But they are solid performers.

Why would you be focused more on the handle over the edge?

Blog Entries