Thread: MagPort Dust Collection Fittings

MagPort Dust Collection Fittings

I've been using these now for about 3 months and absolutely love them. I put them on about 6 machines and converted one of my slip on dust collector fittings to use a MagPort as you can see on the Belt Sander at the end of the video, do I can still use them on the few machines I didn't convert yet.

They are not cheap, but if you frequently move a dust hose from tool to tool, these make the job very easy.

I have no affiliation with the company or product, just a satisfied customer.

www.magport.net

I saw these. They look great. I designed a similar version and 3d printed them with good luck.

Thanks Chris. I will be making my own with scrap plywood and rare earth magnets from lee valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Thanks Chris. I will be making my own with scrap plywood and rare earth magnets from lee valley.
    Go even cheaper and get your magnets off ebay from china. Nothing special about the LV ones except paying their markup!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I bought some MagPorts after seeing this post from you, Chris - thanks! I didn't think I could build them for what little they cost (at least not when accounting for the time it would take).

The one thing I don't like is that I seem to have several connections that would be a perfect fit to the ID of the "black" portion of the MagPort, but there's that white piece of PVC (?) there. I'd like to remove the white piece, but can't figure out what adhesive was used or how to separate them. No reply from Magports to my emails about it, either. Anyone have an idea? Or an idea for a cheap coupler that's fits over the OD?

You might want to check Amazon for the magnets.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

I get magnets from KJ Magnetics. They have a huge variety and various strength levels.

I bought a few of the 5" version of these back in August and I think they work great.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Pretty tough to beat 23 bucks with time and materials.

Mark there is far more to this equation than you realize. I live in Alberta,north of you guys in Canuckistan. If I ordered those the shipping and duty would more than double that price,probably 2.5 times the starting price. So I am pretty sure that if I built a couple with all the
    scrap plywood lying around my shop and half an hour I would not lose money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Pretty tough to beat 23 bucks with time and materials.
    Actually its more like $50 plus shipping because you need at least two. And thats only one connection.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Yes, their 3 pack (10 piece item) has 3 ports, 3 ring clamps and 3 piece of short flex hose, can't remember what the other item was.

This lets you setup connectors on two tools and then one on a flex hose.

I have about 8 connectors in total, 6 on tool ports and two on two separate 4" flex hose , not cheap, but not that much more expensive than a lathe chisel to put it in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Yes, their 3 pack (10 piece item) has 3 ports, 3 ring clamps and 3 piece of short flex hose, can't remember what the other item was.

This lets you setup connectors on two tools and then one on a flex hose.

I have about 8 connectors in total, 6 on tool ports and two on two separate 4" flex hose , not cheap, but not that much more expensive than a lathe chisel to put it in perspective.
    The 10 pieces are actually 3 ports, 2 short pieces of flex hose (only 2 because the 3rd port goes onto your DC-based hose), and 5 ring clamps (2 per short flex hose, 1 more for attaching that 3rd port to the DC-based hose).

Unfortunately he doesn't sell any kits for the 5" ports, which is what I bought because my DC and my tools are 5", so I had to use my own clamps and hoses throughout.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

If running 4" you might want to look at the MagVent connectors. I'm planning to use their MV - Flex.
    https://www.magvent-dryervent.com/shop