Thread: A friends new shop

A friends new shop

A friend is building out a wood shop for himself and a separate portion for his wifes ceramic shop. His part is 24x24x9-6. There is a full width 10' covered deck at the entry. The entry door is about an 8' wide on the rt side of the deck wall. His floor is engineered 12" I-joists over concrete, 12"oc with a plywood subfloor. He is planning on a Fir or other finish floor later. He has purchased a 2 hp Laguna DC. It will be located kitty corner from the entry door. On the left wall he is building a table about the length of the wall for his chop saw station and shelving below. He is planning on running DC duct overhead with drops. He is not going to pipe every machine so will have flex lines to move on occasion. Based upon the layout I think the overhead and drops will really impact the space and have suggested running the main 6" along that wall under the chop saw station dropping below the floor at the chop saw location and running all the way to the opposite wall with a couple risers to the machinery. He can easily punch out the side of the sill to install a clean-out/inspection port. His table saw location will be fixed as will his planer in line with the ducted joist bay. It would be a small matter to section that joint bay floor for removal/inspection should it be necessary. How would you want it set up?
    I am also suggesting a small door at the height of the chop saw table to be able to bring material in. Open that small door, slide the material in for rough dimension cutting and then move it through the process. Do any of you have this type access? Yah or nay?

Both methods for routing duct are valid and have their advantages and disadvantages. Despite the nice look for having ductwork hidden under the floor, changes over time are more difficult...and shops do change over time. It also can sometimes be harder to support the most efficient route for the duct work if because of headroom one has to keep things between joists. Quite often the best path for the main duct is diagonally across a shop space, for example.

I don't have an arrangement like you describe for bringing in material but I like the idea. I've considered putting a similar door in the ceiling of my shop to somewhat do the same internally to my operation because my material storage is upstairs and the stairway is, well...fun to negotiate...with a heavy board.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...